tarp help?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

tarp help?

Postby skip » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:24 pm

hey i was wondering how many peple out there use tarps over the tent and are they worth wile geting? iam thinking off geting one to help the fly in rain. does the fly stop the rain ive got a preety cheap tent so i dont trust it to much. ALSO COULD YOU POST SOME PICS OF TENTS WITH TARPS.thanks any advise is wanted.
skip
Captain Camping

Postby garbage » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:03 pm

Boy did I regret not having a tarp the first time I used my Coleman dome tent! Can't help you with photos of tents with tarps on top as I upgraded to canvas shortly after that.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Troyk » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:45 pm

If you go the poly tarps, go the silver ones, they don't make much noise when flapping in the wind, like the blue and green ones.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:17 pm

All tents leak, some more than others depending on how hard the rain. The tarp will certainly keep the tent dry and will also offer shade in the summer. Make sure though that when erected you have a slope to allow for water run off or you will create a well that will wet someone at some time :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby geekcampgirl » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:08 am

All tents leak

I have to disagree. You get what you pay for. Our tent has never leaked and we have been through some mighty storms - hail and all.

Tents do wear out though, and we are facing the prospect of having to buy another one. Our current tent ( a Wild Country tunnel tent) have served us well for 17 years. It will be sad to replace it and a bugger to do all that research and shopping again.
geekcampgirl
Camping King

Postby slug » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:15 pm

I will dig out some photos later. My tents dont generally leak, i guess they are only 4 or 5 years old, ask again in a few years. BUt we put one out over the front as an extended awning, so if it is raining we still have somwhere to sit and in the heat of summer have some shade.
slug
Captain Camping

Postby freerocketman1 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:31 pm

skip when i used a tent i had a tarp set up just for shade, but i have seen some other campers covering the whole thing. they say its not just to keep the rain out but to keep the tent cooler.[they must like staying in their tents all day] :armsup
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Return to Camping Tips and Locations