who goes fossicking

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

who goes fossicking

Postby jasonb » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:48 pm

hey guys just wondering what you guys do on your trips away ,,we love to fossick like gemstones and gold panning ,its good where we are cause inverell is about 1-2 hours away and so is nundle for gold and we do a lot of fishing as well at chaffey ,keepit ,glenbourne and copton dams ,,,,righto whos next
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Went gold panning at Nundle when I was a kid with my dad. We camped at Sheba Dam and caught a few trout around 4 pound each. We panned at the base of Hanging Rock as well as in the Peel River. Over a week we ended up with about a teaspoon of gold dust. No nuggets.

Was one of those great times to remember. Way down in the back of the cupboard I still have some slides of that trip. My first camera as well. I was about 16 at the time.

Oh yeah we used to shoot rabbits as well there.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Troyk » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:49 pm

Jasonb, what's the best place to get fossicking gear. Looking to get a geologist pick, sieves etc. Looked in the camping stores and army disposals. :?:

Taking the family up through dinosaur country (Hughenden, Richmond, Winton, north west qld) in September, and there are number of places where you fossick for fossils.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby jasonb » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:24 pm

i bought all my gear at garage and clearance sales cheap as chips ,except for my gold pans i bought them new
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:19 pm

Haven't done any fossicking in QLD yet (but will be going to the places Troy listed in the near futrure :?# )

When in W.A. we went to Southern Cross ... approx. 200k's west of Kalgoorlie ... and fissicked all around the Parker Range and places I can't remember the names of ... if you go off the beaten track you generally find old diggings and can fossick or use the metal detector on the old tailings dump.

:armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby AussieSunset » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:02 pm

We went fossicking when we were traveling up the coast. We were staying at Emerald and got to know a few people and went with a guy who had all the gear and knew the right spots to go out at Saphire. We had a great day and found a lot of saphires till the rain came. Boy it gets muddy out there with only a very little bit of rain.
Here are some pic's and yes that is my daughter the mud monster :***

hopefully the pic's worked :lol:
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Troyk » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:17 pm

Anyone have any great finds? I know, the fun is the digging!
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Return to Camping Tips and Locations