SE Qld Dog friendly camps

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

SE Qld Dog friendly camps

Postby Weimowner » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:17 pm

Hello, just wondering if any one can recommend camp grounds that are dog and children (2 & 4) friendly. Live in Brisbane happy to travel for up to four hours, can tent, camp trailer or take the boat. We have a 4WD so access should not be a problem "we hope".

I would appreciate any and all replies that members may be able to offer.

Thanks

Rachel
Weimowner

Postby Troyk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:29 pm

Welcome aboard Rachel.

We don't take the dog camping, so we don't look for dog places.

But you might want to try the publication "Camping in Southern and Central Queensland" by Martin and Roy Bowerman. Martin is the camping guru on Creek to Coast and Qld Weekender.

It has a section on camping with dogs and where you can take them.

It costs $12.95 and can be found at most camping stores.

Down Under camping usually has it, though I think I got my copy at the newsagent in Capalaba Park. :)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Weimowner » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:45 pm

Hi Troy

Thanks for that, I only have the RACQ one which is not very helpful, will go check that out.

Thanks again.

Rachel
Weimowner

Postby freerocketman1 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:18 am

welcome to the forum rachel. north straddie [flinders beach,main beach] rainbow beach. darlington park,burges park,andrew drynen park[these 3 are just past beaudesert] are just a few that we have camped at with our two dogs,check out the review section of the forum their is also some pics as well. :grin:
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby AussieSunset » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:26 am

Hi Weimowner. I've been looking for dog friendly camp sites too and found there are a lot around. Neurum creek bush retreat looks the best to me for dogs and kids. We're going there next month as the grandson is comming.
There is also Landcruiser Mountain Park, Kenilworth Homstead, Flanagan Reserve just to name a few. There are others I'm still checking out.
The book Camps 3 has a lot in there and you can update it on the net.
Oh there is also Borumba Deer Park but they have a $50 deposit on the dog which you get back if the dog behaves. (I've given this one a miss till I see how my dog goes camping first lol maybe later this season though.)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Weimowner » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:54 pm

Hi Freerocketman1

Thanks for your reply, did not know you could take dogs to Straddie camp grounds, we go to South Straddie with the boat and kids but no dogs allowed. Hubby will be happy as he will be able to go beach fishing!

Looks like we have plently of options to look at in the area, appreciate your reports and pictures, as it is good to be able to get a look at places you are thinking about and hear other peoples opinions and not just advertising.

Thanks

Rachel
Weimowner

Postby Weimowner » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:04 pm

Hi AussieSunset. I would love to hear your thoughts on Neurum creek bush retreat, I had a look at the website and it looks great! Hopefully you will post a report and maybe some pics? Let me know how you go, if you go to any other dog friendly places. And hopefully your dog will behave itself! :grin: I am in the process of obedience training my 9 month old Weimaraner, understand the behavioural "issues", although at times I get more response from the dog than the kids!

Thanks again

Rachel

PS: Lucky buggers living at Bribie - it is a favourite weekend spot for us.
Weimowner

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:07 pm

Hi Rachel and welcome

Check out your local bookstore for this book. It has a number of dog friendly campsites listed.

Derek

This book has more than 1100 campsites listed in more than 500 parks, reserves and state forests where your dog will be welcome. Features maps and a table of campsites for each state, which collate 26 different facilities available at each site.
These include caravan access, whether camp fees apply, wheelchair access, activities and contact details for more information.

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby AussieSunset » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:44 am

Yeah I like the look of it too Weimowner. It's a good allrounder I think. I will take pic's and post them, I hope we are going soon as I'm itching to go. I think Phoebe will be ok but she's 8yr old border x bluey and gets a little nervy and sort of protective at times, but I think she'll do ok. She did well at my son's when he lived at Blackbutt on some acreage.
I had a look at that book Derek and I think Camps 3 has a lot more places for dogs and cheap or free ones. So i just bought Camps 3 and not the dogs one as I got camps 3 for $20 and the dog book was a lot dearer. Check them both out in a books store though. I also went to lots of camping sites but none as good as this one though 8)
I'd like to see a sticky thread just for dog friendly places as lots of people take their dogs, or would like to and dont know where's best.

:*** I know what you mean about the dog v kids thing. I have 4 kids, all adults now but it's still the same :***
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Weimowner » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Hi Derek

Thanks for the pic of the book, I will certainly look out for that one at the book stores.

AussieSunset

I totally agree a sticky thread would be a great idea, perhaps the mods could look at doing this? When we get organised to visit a dog friendly place, we will post some pics and a report.

Also a big thanks to everyone who has replied, it has been much appreciated!
Weimowner

Postby waltzingmatilda » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:43 am

Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
http://www.blokesnsheilas.com.au
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Postby s4j » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:42 am

Island Reach Camping Resort - Imbil
Glendon - outside Warwick
The camera's are mine...the closest he will get is holding the umbrella when it rains.
s4j
Camping King

Re: SE Qld Dog friendly camps

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:15 am

Hi Rachel

If you would like to give me some idea of what amenities etc you are looking for I would be glad to give you some pet friendly camping locations in the SE corner.

Cheers

Weimowner wrote:Hello, just wondering if any one can recommend camp grounds that are dog and children (2 & 4) friendly. Live in Brisbane happy to travel for up to four hours, can tent, camp trailer or take the boat. We have a 4WD so access should not be a problem "we hope".

I would appreciate any and all replies that members may be able to offer.

Thanks

Rachel
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations