Canberra

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Canberra

Postby Hissy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:56 pm

I would like to take the family down to the Capital for a camping weekend.

Could anyone recommend a caravan park in the area.

Would prefer to find something close to town as we want to do some day trips for the kids.

Any suggestions would be great.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:06 pm

http://www.carotel.com.au/
I've stayed there in one of their motel rooms, its right on the edge of town, and the staff where very friendly. No complaints. Campgrounds looked nice, but like I said, I stayed in a room so from a camping side of things it's not first hand info. As far as things to do, I had a few hours to kill, so walked across the road, to a some park, maybe national or state forest, cant remember, but there was a bit of a fun mountain (big hill really) to climb and roo's all the way through it.

Hope this helps.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:20 pm

Agree on that park. Great location and close to everything.

When you are there don't forget to go to the tower on black mountain. Great views

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Troyk » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:47 pm

Hissy, The must see site for me is the Australian War Memorial. The collections are quite amazing. Have been to Canberra a couple of times this year for work and and took the opportunity to have a quick look around. I know that wasn't the suggestion you were looking for but..
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby MrsH » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:19 am

We stayed 3 nights at the Canberra Motor Village, just recently..

It has a nice bush setting and fantastic facilities (laundry/toilets/showers etc all clean and well kept).

The staff were pleasant but were a bit perplexed by the soft-floored camper trailer.. Their van sites are all on concrete, so no good for setting up the tent, and they don't permit cars on the campsites. (usually!)

Other than that it was a nice place to stay (and has wireless internet ;)) This is their site http://www.canberravillage.com/

Oh, and DEFINITELY go to the War Memorial - an amazing place.

cheers

:)
MrsH

Postby Troyk » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:40 am

Out of interest what was the cost of wireless internet. We have just come back from west qld and while most places had it it was in the order of $10/hr. And they were all different providers so you couldn't take advantage of a package.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby MrsH » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:48 am

Troy, it was something like $10/2 hours and $20/5 hours..
MrsH

Postby aggysaunt » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:59 pm

Troy,

We have just come back from west qld

Where in west qld? We have just come back from a trip up the Matilda to Karumba. In my research, interent access wasn't going to be reliable enough for my needs. I ended up upgrading my CDMA phone to 3G and using it as a modem. Got better speeds than at home!!
aggysaunt

Postby Troyk » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:14 pm

aggysaunt wrote:Troy,

We have just come back from west qld

Where in west qld? We have just come back from a trip up the Matilda to Karumba. In my research, interent access wasn't going to be reliable enough for my needs. I ended up upgrading my CDMA phone to 3G and using it as a modem. Got better speeds than at home!!

We were heading up to the Dinsoaur Trail but a hiccup with the camper trailer saw us only go as far as Longreach. Checked out the QANTAS Museum and Stockman Hall of Fame. When I get some time I will post some pics.

We really didn't think much about internet access, but we took the notebook for processing photos and GPS data, but we picked up the wifi at most of the places we stayed.

My wife has a 3G phone so I am going to look at accessing the internet that way. The idea of the kids sending emails to family and friends from on the road about our travels could be interesting.

Troyk

Postby geekcampgirl » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:37 pm

Thanks for the follow up.

I'll check out more of wifi whenever I 'm away again. I obviously stayed at different places to you!! (Maybe I lose my geekiness when I'm travelling with my tent!)
geekcampgirl
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations