Central Qld free/very cheap camping.........

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Central Qld free/very cheap camping.........

Postby Silva » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi everyone, i'm new to this site & my boyfriend and I are looking for cheap or free camping spots in Central Qld with good fishing & crabbing, and ones where you can take dogs, although we won't always be taking the dog..lol.
We've been to Calliope and LOVE it, but are looking for other spots to try as well. We don't have a 4WD though so it's gotta be somewhere we can access easily. Preferably spots where we can swim as well for the times we take the kids :)
If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated :)
Silva

Re: Central Qld free/very cheap camping.........

Postby mo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:27 pm

We used to live in Rocky and always loved to camp at stoney Creek in Byfield state forest.
Camping fees are $4.50 per person per night or $18.00 per family per night. A family group is up to two adults and accompanying children under 18. Children under five are free.

So there is a charge but it is pretty cheap and really beautiful with a gorgeous creek with crystal clear water.

got this blurb from the qld parks site,

This wonderful forest forms part of the last undeveloped area on this region's coast. The endemic Byfield fern and Byfield grevillea thrive here. The forest features ancient cycads in rainforest along creeks, rugged mountains and pine plantations.

Take one of the walking tracks. Waterpark Creek is great for birdwatching. Many rainforest birds inhabit the forest. Camping is permitted at three sites. Dogs on leashes are allowed only at Red Rock campground. Horses are permitted in some areas. Estuarine crocodiles have been seen in Waterpark Creek and at Red Rock so be croc-wise.
Anyway hope this helps.
There is also a beaut place near Dingo called blackdown tablelands,

Blackdown Tableland National Park lies in central Queensland 183km west of Rockhampton. The signed turn-off on the Capricorn Highway is 11km west of Dingo or 110km east of Emerald (35km east of Blackwater).

To reach the park entrance shelter, follow the sealed road to the top of the tableland. From the base of the tableland the 6km road is winding and climbs steeply — it is not suitable for towing heavy trailers or caravans.

Roads past the entrance shelter are unsealed, slippery and winding. Most of the park is accessible to 2WD vehicles driven with care, but you will require a 4WD vehicle for the Loop Road to Mitha Boongulla (Charlevue lookout).

To reach Munall (Mimosa) campground, continue 8km past the park entrance shelter.
We did not own a 4wd drive when we went and found both places easy going but it is best to check beforehand on road conditions.
Hope this helped.
Camping Makes Great Memories!
mo
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:51 am

Silva wrote:Hi everyone, i'm new to this site & my boyfriend and I are looking for cheap or free camping spots in Central Qld with good fishing & crabbing, and ones where you can take dogs, although we won't always be taking the dog..lol.
We've been to Calliope and LOVE it, but are looking for other spots to try as well. We don't have a 4WD though so it's gotta be somewhere we can access easily. Preferably spots where we can swim as well for the times we take the kids :)
If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated :)

Try the Camps Australiawide 4 book and best and cheapest place to buy it (if you are a member) is the RACQ.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:17 am

7-8 yrs ago we went with some friends from Rocky to a place between Shoal water bay and sarina. It was great beach camping with fishing, boating, crabbing
with a shop just up the road. trouble is I cant remember the name of the place :cry: i will jump on google earth after work and see if I can find it.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:24 pm

Carmila beach a couple hundred kilometres north of Rocky. we stayed there a few days on our trip north my friends still go there 2-3 times a year. 21°55'3.61"S 149°27'47.73"E google earth co-ords
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations