christmas in oz

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

christmas in oz

Postby coomers » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:29 am

hi, me my wife and my teenage daughter are flying down under over christmas and new year,for part of our holiday (18-28 dec)we have hired a maui motorhome,travelling from brisbane to sydney,we have not booked any sites to stay,will it be easy to just turn up at sites,or is this not wise,is there other places to park overnight,i would really appreciate any tips we have never been to australia! :? thanks alan.
Uh-Oh, What are we doing?!
coomers

Postby amanda » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:59 am

At that time of year VERY unwise not to make a booking, particularly if you are planning on heading to Sydney via the coast.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Scolers » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:02 am

Ditto to Amanda.

Get booking now! Even then you could find that most places are booked out.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:47 pm

Defiantely start booking now - especially for the dates from the 24th onwards!

Good luck! and hope you like the warmth as that time of year its starting to creep up in temperature - hope those maui campers have AC!

Keep us posted on your plans for the trip!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby kazzakanary » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:59 pm

Hi Alan

I also agree that you need to begin booking - it is a busy time of year. It is hard though when you don't know where and what you will be stopping to sight see at through the day though...
Good luck!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Otto » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:45 pm

How busy is it inland, i.e. Snowys at that time of year?
Otto
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:01 pm

If your prepared to stay away from caravan parks you will always find a spot but it might not be what you really wanted. Start booking and see how you go.

BTW, between the 21 and 26th of Dec I'll be here viewtopic.php?t=335 . Could be a nice final stop before Sydney.

Wave if u see us :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby coomers » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:42 am

thanks for your help, we are going to try and book ahead,we only have the big4 book but it is so difficult to choose a iteniary that will get us from bris to syd for 8 nights, i know its a lot to ask but any ideas what areas to stay to get the most out of our holiday of a lifetime,we would like to see national parks,also good beaches,wife likes shopping,and i do like afew beers on a evening good bars maybe,thanks for any tips or suggestions alan
Uh-Oh, What are we doing?!
coomers

Postby amanda » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:13 am

For great beaches, national parks and a great bar you can't go past Yamba - it has the lot. Beautiful walking tracks meandering through the Yuraygir National Park with the ocean right beside you (about 5k's from the town). The hotel sits on a cliff top and has floor to celing windows that overlook the ocean. You can sit back enjoying a few cold ones out on the deck and spot some dolphins. As for shopping, it's no retail mecca, however they do have some lovely boutiques and little art and craft shops. You can get a ferry across the Clarence River to the town of Iluka which is also a lovely spot.

They have the following holiday parks:

Blue Dolphin (a bit on the expensive side but excellent)
Big4 Yamba
Calypso Holiday Park (right in town)
Yamba Waters Holiday Park
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby wannabee » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:53 am

Hi Alan - just keep in mind that the Pacific Highway between Brisbane & Sydney runs a little inland for the whole way. Be prepared for lots of short detours to get to the sea. Also, it will be a bit warm at that time of year, and if you move far inland, it is likely to get a lot hotter.

Have a great time,

Mike
wannabee

Postby Barby-Q » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:51 am

Good point Mike, which reminded me of ,

We have friends from England that planed to drive to Cairns for the day and see the Great Barrier Reef . I think they got as far as the Gateway motorway and seen the sign CAIRNS 1686 km and gave it a miss.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby Komodo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:13 pm

Going for a day trip were they?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Al&Sharon » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:39 am

hi barbyQ i couldnt stop laughing when you said you had friends coming from the uk wanted to c cairns and got as far as the gateway.I also had family coming over from Liverpool uk they said they wouold drive to cairns and spend a day there then drive to sydney for a couple of night and also wanted to see Melbourne i asked how long they had they said 3 weeks they have no idea of the distances.
Alan you and your family willhave to book as all will be booked out every man and his dog are on hols at the dates you have the gold coast would be a must for a tennage daughter a drink and shopping for the misses but 10days is not a lot of time. (scouse,Alan)
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Return to Camping Tips and Locations