hmm- posted this in introduction but I think it belongs here

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

hmm- posted this in introduction but I think it belongs here

Postby Mel&Michael » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:45 pm

Hi all,

We are planning to drive and camp Australia beginning Feb 2008, with a 5 year old and a 15 month old.

We are budget conscious, as we obviously wont be working (much), and we will just be camping in a tent, and driving in our 4wd ute.

I was going to sqeeze Uluru in, but we are now thinking of doing the whole of the coast, but not going through the centre. Main reason is that we don't want to commit to too much travel each day, and we want to be able to stay on when we want to. Am wondering whether we should head north first, or south? I think it's too early to head north because it's rainy/monsoon season, but if we head south we will be coming back through the top end the next summer, which is no good.

I want to be in Darwin in winter, and we also need to spend a fair bit of time in Cairns with a friend.

Do we even need a year to do the whole of the coast slowly?

Thanks for reading my ramble, any feedback would be very helpful...

Postby waltzingmatilda » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:37 am

Hi Michael and Mel, generally most people go north for the winter and south in summer, could you go inland on your way up to Cairns and do some of the Coast. My inlaws travelled from Victoria up through the centre to Darwin, to kimberley, broome and down the West coast and back home in 3 months, thats with no kids, just for an example.
We have travelled through the centre and topend, all absolutely amazing, especially the kimberley.
Enjoy the trip, around Australia could take a year especially if you go inland, plenty to see there as well. Cheers 8)
Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
http://www.blokesnsheilas.com.au
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:27 am

Uluru (and the getting there) are so much different to the coast that I'd recommend you try to work it in. The coast is nice, but 20,000km's of it, nuh!

Nige.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby waltzingmatilda » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:19 pm

Thats right HGMonaro, Uluru iand surroundings is incredible 8)
Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
http://www.blokesnsheilas.com.au
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations