Wollondilly River station

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Wollondilly River station

Postby cumminscampers » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:11 pm

Hi all.

I was wandering through different camping spots & came accross "Wollondilly River Station" situated on the Wollondilly River in the southern highlands of NSW. It looks like a nice peaceful spot to camp.
Has anyone camped there before & what was it like?

http://www.wollondillystation.bizland.com/index.html

Anthony
cumminscampers
Camping King

Postby cumminscampers » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:31 pm

Hi

I find it hard to beleive no one has been here before.

Anthony
cumminscampers
Camping King

Wollondilly

Postby Activity_Dept » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:35 pm

Hello cumminscampers,

I did a quick search in the forum for wollondilly found a couple of comments on it :armsup :

http://forum.camping.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=256&highlight=wollondilly

not a great deal of info but its a start. The search comes in handy sometimes.

:beer
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby cumminscampers » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:45 pm

Thank you admin guy
cumminscampers
Camping King

Brian's Place

Postby Hissy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:07 pm

Hi Anthony,

I have stayed at Brian's property a number of times over the past 15 years.

One year we had a Buck's party and Brian set us up with a nice spot where we did not upset other campers.
There is an old rifle range up in one of the gullies if you are that way inclined.

Generally we have been in quiet times. We have see both snow and dry hot summers.

There is a great river and i am sure if you are into 4X4 then he will give you some directions.

I have noticed over the years Brian has been exhibiting at camping shows etc so his place would be more well known then years gone by.

Happy camping. :grin:
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Re: Wollondilly River station

Postby conmanturley » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:39 pm

I am off to the Wollondilly River station this weekend so will prepare a full report on arrival home next week.

Watch this space.

:cheers
How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
conmanturley
Camping King

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:01 am

That looks and sounds a top spot,a long way from us but if you had a week up your sleeve i think it would be worth the drive,Love the idea that dogs can roam free.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mac15 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:40 pm

Wollondilly is a lovely peaceful spot. We stayed there some time ago on a couple of occasions. The river was flowing well at that time. Basic toilets - I think some were portaloo type arrangements but fires allowed and as someone has mentioned, pets too. A very scenic drive down into there as well.

Enjoy the weekend.

mac
When's my next holiday??
mac15
Camping King

Postby homekegger1 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:52 pm

conmanturley wrote:I am off to the Wollondilly River station this weekend so will prepare a full report on arrival home next week.

Watch this space.

:cheers

How funny I just posted a message in your other thread about places to stay. You lucky lucky varmints going there this weekend. We have a a long weekend here in Adelaide, But it will be way to hot to camp here. For me anyway. Instead I will kick back with a few homebrews. :beer

But I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the last few years.

Cheers

HK
homekegger1
Camping King

Postby conmanturley » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:22 pm

OK folks I have just returned from a sensational weekend at Wollondilly River Station. :armsup

Although there were quite a few people around the place was big enough that others didn't really matter that much,

We camped on the western side of the southern part of the river and it is a great place to swim, canoe or fish(as long as you don't mind not catching anything).

Brian the owner is a little tricky to deal with but basically books you in, points you towards a general area to camp and lets you get on with it. (tip: don't try to stroke his dogs as he doesn't like it)

The place is really picturesque and peaceful (when the people across the river turned their music down).

Can't post any photos here (YET) but happy to email them if you send me an email.

This place, I would imagine, gets pretty busy over long weekends but still worth a visit.
How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
conmanturley
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:23 pm

conmanturley wrote:

(tip: don't try to stroke his dogs as he doesn't like it)

Being a dog owner myself I can totally understand this. I personally always ask the owner/handler if it is alright for me to pat/touch the recipient dog before doing so. It is a gesture that I too appreciate

It is scary what can be transmitted from one dog to another by a human hand.

On the other hand he could very well be protecting himself especially if he knows his dog/s might be a bit on the anti social side.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations