Suggestions for Red Centre Trip

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Suggestions for Red Centre Trip

Postby waltzingmatilda » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:13 pm

My family is planning a trip to Alice Springs, Ayers Rock, McDonnell ranges area, with 4WD, tents and 3 teenage kids. Do you have any suggestions of parks to stay at & interesting places to go or things to do. We love to take photos I have heard the sunset/sunrise at Ayers Rock is spectacular, if you know of other places I would appreciate any ideas, thanks. 8)
Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
http://www.blokesnsheilas.com.au
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Postby Kramer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:05 pm

Ayers Rock as you said, Kings Canyon is also very good, Devils Marbles is another. In Alice Springs itself you have the end of the Ghan Railway and the transport museum if you are thinking of going to the transport museum be prepared to spend at least a whole day there it is massive and is well worthwhile if you like trucks etc.

Ayers rock should be about 3 nights, 2 days will be spent alone going around the big rock then your pass will also let you go see the olgas which are very worthwhile. We stayed at the Yulara resort campgrounds they were very good and quite reasonable in price.

Kings canyon is also very good make sure you do the long walk and start at daybreak this time of year as it will get hot early. We stayed at the Kings Canyon Resort Campgrounds.

In Alice we stayed at the McDonnell ranges caravan park (Big 4) which was quite good.

Feel free to ask anymore questions as I have only just come back from there 4 weeks ago.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:38 am

Arltunga too ... it's an old gold town about 40k out of Alice Springs (can't remember which direction but the INfo Bureau can tell you). There's a lot of old ruins, buildings etc. worth a look.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby waltzingmatilda » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:06 am

Thanks Kramer and Scolers, I forgot to add we are planning to go next June, I am doing some early planning as we are going with another family from Sydney and meeting them at Coober Pedy, which also sounds like a interesting but unusual town. I will look those places up, they sound great. Do you know anything about the east Mcdonnel Ranges like Ross River homestead, can we stay there?
Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Postby mytribe » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:40 am

You can't actually stay in the homestead but there's log cabin accomodation.
Me,DH and 6 freeloading midgets..plus the furry animals
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Ditto ... I'm sure you've thought of this but just make sure you book well in advance for accomodation. The Territory get's very busy during the southern winter months.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:36 pm

just back from a trip that took in some of the area your looking at (we left enough to have to go back one day)

to get into Ulura (see I've been converted!) you buy a 3 day pass so plan on staying 2 nights at least. If you want to climb it you might have to be flexible at it can be closed due to heat/wind/etc. I'dsuggest to try the 1st chance you get that way if it's not possible you can go back another time/day. Kata Tjuta (spelling? but it's the Olgas...) is well worth the drive. If you want to stay nearby you have to stay at the resort (has camping areas), other options are a long way away (eg. Curtain Springs)

We didn't book ahead (except WA coast like Broome, Coral Bay) as we weren't overly concerned about having power and most places nearly always have room for unpowered camping. Ring from Erldunda or somewhere on your way to book a site unless you're definitely sure your going to be there on a cetain date. Also, most places give you until 10am to rebook if you want to stay longer so generally just book 1 night unless your sure your going to stay (eg Uluru)

Kings Canon was great, the rim walk (steep start but rest is easy although it takes 3.5-4hrs) well worth it. We then went to the West McDonnell Ranges via the Merennie Loop road.

We did a overnight trip out to Chambers Pillar and afternoon trip to Rainbow Valley (both sth of Alice). School of the Air and Flying Doctors both interesting.

Think about how you can carry some firewood as there's plenty of places you can bot collect it and use it. Kids love fires!

I have a website ( http://www.nlandgl.com/roundOz ) of our trip (not yet completed) so if there's something there you'd like to know more about, fire away!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby geekcampgirl » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi,

We did some travelling in that area a few years ago. We actually went to Newhaven (we're birders) so went up the Tanami track a little way. Tilmouth Well was a great spot to camp. (Saw a Letterwing Kite there)

Came back around the western end of the West MacDonnells. Glen Helen was also good camping, but I can imagine that it can get busy there.

Drove south again along the old Ghan line through Finke to Dalhousie and the Oodnadatta track to Maree and the eastern side of the Flinders. Fabulous trip and not many others doing it. Easy to camp anywhere. Camped one night amongst roosting Bourke's Parrots. That was magic.
geekcampgirl
Camping King

Postby geekcampgirl » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:17 pm

Hi,

We did some travelling in that area a few years ago. We actually went to Newhaven (we're birders) so went up the Tanami track a little way. Tilmouth Well was a great spot to camp. (Saw a Letterwing Kite there)

Came back around the western end of the West MacDonnells. Glen Helen was also good camping, but I can imagine that it can get busy there.

Drove south again along the old Ghan line through Finke to Dalhousie and the Oodnadatta track to Maree and the eastern side of the Flinders. Fabulous trip and not many others doing it. Easy to camp anywhere. Camped one night amongst roosting Bourke's Parrots. That was magic.
geekcampgirl
Camping King

Postby waltzingmatilda » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:17 am

Thanks for your replys everyone, obvisiously plenty to see, i will get the map out and check them out, any more suggestions welcome, HAPPY CAMPING EVERYONE where every you go :+
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations