Watagans or Myall Lakes? Coming from Sydney

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Watagans or Myall Lakes? Coming from Sydney

Postby nooks » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:42 am

Hi, new member...

I'm planning to take my family camping in late November/early December. We have a 2.5 and a 3 month old. I'm trying to work out if it's worth the drive up to Myall Lakes as other people's descriptions sound awesome, or whether to go to the Watagans.

Advantage of Myall Lakes is access to both the lake and beach. Disadvantage is the drive.

Advantage of Watagans is it's closer and you can have a fire (state forest) but no beach. Does anyone know of good camping spots here?

I would prefer not to be in a crowded place but we can go mid-week and outside school holidays. Camping amenities is preferable but not essential.

Thanks in advance! :grin:
Last edited by nooks on Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nooks

Postby jomatt » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:40 pm

While the Watagans are a great place to go, there are pit loos and a few scattered bbqs. It does get very hot in summer also. We were up there a few months ago and most of the swimming spots were dry. There are a few different camping spots - The pines is probably one of the most popular. Check before you go because it is quite common for there to be fire restrictions in summer months.
Nothing like camping with four kids and a husband!
jomatt
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:38 pm

Wattagans is definitely a lot rougher than Mungo brush, more of a bush camping place, and has less to do (has heaps of nice bush walking though). Midweek and out of holidays both places will be quiet. And weekends both will have a fair bit off traffic, but out of holidays I think Mungo would be quietest. As Wattagans attract a lot of 4x4 and Trail bikers just out for the weekend.

In short, go Mungo, especially since its spring/summer. At least you'll have somewhere to swim.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby CCC » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:46 am

agree with Ozzy there
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:31 pm

This time of year I'd vote for Mungo. It's a pretty good drive with lots of double lanes now from Raymond Terrace
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby nooks » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:41 am

Thanks everyone, sounds like a strong concensus for Mungo Brush!

Now I just have to buy a tent. The one that catches my eye is the Sportiva (Oztrail) Peninsula...

Cheers,
Nick.
nooks

Return to Camping Tips and Locations