Camping on the NSW Central Coast - where?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping on the NSW Central Coast - where?

Postby kdavies » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:36 pm

Hi - I am looking to go camping on NSW's Central Coast. It would be great to get somewhere that was more like bush camping - but still with freshwater......is this possible?? I'd like it to be near (or preferably on) a beach, lake or river.

Also we have small dog with us.

Thanks in advance!!!!
kdavies

Postby mr_grumble » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:09 am

The bigest problem is that your not the only one wanting to know where on the Central Coast you can camp thats
1). Secluded.
2). By a river, beach or lake.

Most of these spots are like camping in the middle of a Westfield shopping complex, not my cuppa tea :x

A nice spot, although VERY popular is at Patonga beach. It's located with the ocean on one side and the lagoon on the other, very nice, but like I said if you don't like neighbours within 5m of you when camping you may want to give this one a miss.

Another nice spot, not quite as populated but still popular (especially with trailbikes :booty ), is up in the Wadigan mountains. There are numerous sites that can be camped in, my personal favourite is The Pines, and although the road can be a little rough, can be accessed by conventional two wheel drive.

A not so known about camp site is a caravan park (not sure of the name) thats near Mount White. If you head towards the intersection that joins the F3 on/off ramp with the old Pacific Hwy (near the old shop/pub), one of the smaller roads that lead off the intersection (heading SW), winds it's way down a reasonably steep decline, down to the banks of the Hawksbury, also accesible by conventional two wheel drive. Nice big grassed open camp ground right next to the river.

There's a few camp sites, although not next to river/lake/ocean, back inland from the coast. We usually travel to Wisemans ferry and instead of turning left to get on the punt, continue onwards towards St Albans (dirt road mosly but ok with two wheel drives), from there theres a dirt track that winds its way through a NP, not 100% sure which one. Anyway theres a couple of grassed camping sites with, from memory, amenities ??
Tip: Once camp is set up, travel along the same dirt road further till you get to a T intersection (tarmac), turn right and travel for another kay or so, there's a beaut hanburger joint out in the middle of nowhere, can't remember the name of this place either, geez Im good 8) . Great burgers !!!, think it's something like Jerry's place or something ??

My favourite is a little more north, inland a little from Raymand Terrace, a State Forest called Chicester, not so well known about, has a river (more like a stream), only the one camp site, although it's big enough to house twenty + parties.

Hope this helps, just don't go telling too many ppl :grin:
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby CCC » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:20 pm

Heres a pic of what The Watagan's is like

nice and private.... not much water though :?
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mr_grumble » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:01 pm

Central Coast Campers wrote:Heres a pic of what The Watagan's is like

Now just imagine the noise of a 200kg mozzie going through the gears and your just about there :armsup
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:31 pm

You could look through the posts in relation to the Munmorah State Conservation Park :lol:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CCC » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:19 pm

mr_grumble wrote:

Now just imagine the noise of a 200kg mozzie going through the gears and your just about there :armsup

hahaha true
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:26 pm

I've ramped on that log 8)

:lol:

Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby CCC » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:17 am

OI get your Rocky off my log .... :*** :+
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations