QLD - North Stradbroke Island

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Al&Sharon » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:55 pm

could be that cat Troy you look like you can dance.Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby freerocketman1 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:02 pm

AL & SHARON you wont be disapointed :grin:
are you staying in the caravan pk or on the beach?
if your staying on the beach dont for get your 4wd permit.
also as there is 3 different places on the beach you can camp
i recommend camping between entrances 9 to 12.
they are the entrances closest to amity point.
at entrance 9 there is drop toilites & a wood bin.
up closer to the caravan pk there is more than 1 toilit & more wood bins
but it does get busy up that end of the beach.
also plan to get the barge 3 hours before low tide as there is a inland track to camps 9-12 that gets boggy [ thats why i bought the max trax ].
so try & drive on the beach.

ooh & yes ive camped at this dump for 5 years & still keep going back,
its the best dump ive been too :armsup :grin:
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Troyk » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:14 pm

Alan, Catch the Sea Stradbroke. It has a nice lounge to kick back in the trip over. Either ferry though will set you back about $115 for the car and about another $100+ for the caravan.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby freerocketman1 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:33 pm

stradbroke ferrys $122 for car return,
trailer $26.00 per mtr tow ball to end

sea stradbroke
$122 for car as of 1st december 2007
need to ring office for tralier price.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Troyk » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:52 pm

Hey Al, I'd allow about $150 for the caravan. Mind you its ok if you go for a week, bit expensive if its just for the weekend though.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby Al&Sharon » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:03 am

hi Rocket we are in amity point caravan park didnt want to do the beach as Im not sure of pulling the trailer in the sand, bit dubious incase I get bogged not knowing the area so I thought Id best be safe and book a campground, when I see the layout maybe next time Ill do beach camp.
Now the real info and most important what bait,surf rods or light rods,
is it jetty fishing as well as beach wheres the best place to head to on the island has any1 used sqidges over there if so how did they go, hook sizes every bit of info I can get, I have all ther gear yet I never catch anything THISTIME is going to be differant I feel the excitement already.Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Al&Sharon » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:15 am

hi TRoy tks mate It was $140 for the trailer and $122 for the car, cheap at the price to get over to a nice island for a weeks R & R, I mean if I didnt take the trailer Id spend that much on grog, now I can stock it to the hilt, heard the saying 1 carton per day per man have to try keep the good aussie fishing tradition going, :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :*** :*** :*** tks Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Speaking of expressions

Postby Activity_Dept » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:56 pm

Have you heard:

24 hours in a day, 24 bottles in a carton; a coincidence? I don't think so.

:beer

:***
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Al&Sharon » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:51 am

Andrew havnt you heard 24hrs in a day 24 in a carton fishing at 5 on my holidays yer I think so believe me.Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Al&Sharon » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:56 am

Just worked it out 9 litres a day thats 15pints going to give it my best shot :*** :*** :*** :+ :+ :+ :beer :beer :beer straddie here I come .Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:38 am

I thought it was 24 hours in a day 30 cans to a carton. :armsup
Cheers
Chick
It's all about Beer, Hubbie, Fishing, Camping, Kids & Boating.. Oh and Me
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby freerocketman1 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:23 pm

so al&sharon how was the trip ?
i hope it wasnt dissapointing.
ive got one more week of work,then hopefully no more rain
:shock: before i get over there :armsup
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Al&Sharon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:32 am

Hi Freerocket we really enjoyed it didnt catch the fish though, which was a little dissapointing we did try though. I was a little disapointed with the rubbish being left on the jetty every night, the ranger said it wasnt as bad as it sometimes gets, but it was really annoying him, he took a large bag down each morning and picked up cans and bottles left from the night before, we loved point look out went round the blow hole walk in the rain so dangerous I thought, some people where right on the edge but so totally beautiful, went to brown lake enjoyed that, but really loved key holes we had that all to ourselves had a lovely swim it was lovely and warm,considering its such a large lake, we met some really nice people over there and felt as if there was no worry with leaving equipment around our tent , we had a great day on cylinders beach as the waves where brilliant and had a great game of beach cricket, and did do the silly thing of taking the shirt off and got burnt, we did get a little rain but it didnt bother us it was mostly of a night, all in all we thought the island was very reasonably priced for evrything being an island we thought things would have been more expensive than they where,so all in all it was a brilliant holiday next time we would try go to point look out or cylinders as we liked the beaches on that side. yes :+ :+ :+ to Straddie. Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:15 am

Alan and Sharon, good to hear you had a great time. It is a great spot. I probalby go to straddie once a month but always for work so I should go over for a holiday. Perhaps a venue for a future gathering!

Yeah the rubbish is a real problem on the island, especially how people (usually holiday makers) just dump it. I use to have waste operations under my responsibilties until 2 years ago so I know about it first hand. They use to dump it out front of our waste transfer station even though we have free disposal! Its the typical few ruining it for the rest.

Interesting thing about the keyholes is that they are not natural, but were created as result of sand mining from 1950 to 1970. Hard to imagine really.

Troyk

Postby freerocketman1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:46 pm

yes yes yes its my turn to have holidays :armsup :armsup :armsup
never camped at straddie in the january holidays allways around sept/oct
i hope its not crowded.
anyway who cares it will be great just to go camping :armsup
im off sat morning :grin:
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations