Dry Ice - Whos used it?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Dry Ice - Whos used it?

Postby Komodo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:51 pm

Hey guys,

Has any one used dry ice? I know gypsylady has. Any one else?

Im after ideas on how to keep it in the esky and can you / have you mixed dry ice with normal ice?

Also does any one know (something I just read on another forum) if salt water freezes @ lower temps than normal water?
The person on the other forum suggested milk bottles filled with salt water will freeze colder and stay frozen longed than milk bottles filled with unsalted water...
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:26 pm

Not sure if salt water freezes colder than fresh but I do know years back we had an ice cream maker and used to put rock salt in with the ice to make it colder.

While I have never tried it, I have seen a recipe for icecream made in a dutch/camp oven at that also calls for salt in with the ice.

Here it is

Impossibly Possible Dutch Oven Ice Cream

1 small package instant pudding (any flavor)
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1 cup whipping cream
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk

Chill a 12-inch Dutch oven in a cooler or refrigerator. Mix pudding and milk. In a separate bowl, mix sugar, egg, vanilla and lemon juice. Add to pudding mixture.

Pour mixture into a dry and very cool Dutch oven. Add whipping cream and evaporated milk; stir. Put lid on Dutch oven. Place oven in a 16 inch bowl or bucket. Arrange crushed ice and rock salt around oven as you would in an ice cream freezer (alternating 1inch layers of ice and 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch layers of salt). Placing ice on lid (no deeper than the lip) will cool oven down faster.

Lift the lid and stir every 2 to 5 minutes. It will go slowly at first until the oven cools off. Add ice and salt to bowl as needed. Total freezing time is 30 to 45 minutes. The ice cream may be eaten soft, or if you prefer harder ice cream, you may replace the lid and cover it with ice and salt.

NOTE: Any ice cream recipe may be frozen with this method; however, a cooked ice cream may pick up a unique flavor from the cast iron of the oven. If a cooked recipe is used, make sure the oven is well cooled before placing it in the ice (a hot oven could crack or shatter if placed directly in the ice).
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Scolers » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:40 pm

The main thing is be careful you don't burn yourself so maybe wrap it in newspaper ...
This is what a guy from the dry ice factory (BOC) ... It gives off a gas that puts you to sleep if it is in an enclosed area (such as a car) even if the ice block is in an esky or ice box. The guy at BOC recommended putting the esky/ ice box in a trailer OR definately drive with the windows open if you are going to have the esky/ ice box in the car.

This is what a few campers said ...

Dry Ice has an ability to put you to sleep in an unvented enlosed area however you would need a fair bit. In any case your mouth would start stinging and you would be getting a sour kinda taste before it affected you. In a large (60lt +) esky it shouldn't really be an issue with the gas expansion. But be warned.

I gave up and bought an Engel ... :?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:48 pm

Meh its not for me.

My foreman has just bought his son a techniice ice box and we were discussing ways of getting it to stay cool longer.

I suggested dry ice - just get some from either Supagas or BOC on the company account. He wasnt so keen when i said you had to be careful handelling it - so thats when I googled and came across the stuff about the salt water.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:13 pm

Komodo, Don't know if saltwater will freeze. Salt is actually used to thaw ice. It might freeze but probalby far lower than your standard fridge freezer.

Salt and Ice are mixed together to make the ice melt quicker. Ice needs alot of heat to melt, which it absorbs from esky etc. The absorption of heat makes the esky colder than normal ice, but of course for not as long. I remember an episode of Mythbusters where they were trying to work out the quickest way to cool a six paxk. The practical way was the ice and salt, cooled them in about 20mins. They did use a fire extinguisher but not really cost effective. Hence the resosn salt and ice are used for making ice cream.

My father used to use dry ice years ago for camping. He has a steel lined ice box and used to take it down to BOC and they would drop in a cube and then would throw in a couple bags of party ice. Used the dry ice to keep the nromal ice frozen and then put then food and beer around the ice. Trouble was something would get accidently frozen, like the beer! The dry ice lasted about 4 to 5 days. You can't use Dry ice with plastice ice boxes, though I think they are ok with fibrglass.

Dry ice is really frozen CO2 so I guess CO2 gas could be a problem, sounds a bit over the top.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Scolers » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:57 pm

Troyk wrote:Komodo, Don't know if saltwater will freeze. Salt is actually used to thaw ice. It might freeze but probalby far lower than your standard fridge freezer.

Sorry ... I should have picked up on this ... in Europe and the UK they actually put salt on the roads to MELT the snow ... it also annoys the motorists because their cars decay a lot quicker than they should.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:02 pm

Scolers wrote:
Troyk wrote:Komodo, Don't know if saltwater will freeze. Salt is actually used to thaw ice. It might freeze but probalby far lower than your standard fridge freezer.

Sorry ... I should have picked up on this ... in Europe and the UK they actually put salt on the roads to MELT the snow ... it also annoys the motorists because their cars decay a lot quicker than they should.

Scol.

They do that here in the Snowy Mountains as well.

Given all of that, with the making of ice cream, how does that work?

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Scolers » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:27 pm

Wonder if it makes the ICE cream softer???

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby CCC » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:35 pm

:shock: ::() not touching that one
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:40 pm

Derek wrote:Given all of that, with the making of ice cream, how does that work?

Derek

When the salt mixes with the water it lowers the freezing temperature of water, hence why the ice melts. The melted water, which is contact with container and absorbs the heat from the ice cream mix, is also at a lower temperature, so it gets the ice cream mixture colder. Instead of the water being around zero it is lowered to about -4/5 degrees.

Salt saturated water freezes at -21 degrees.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby Scolers » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:31 pm

Yup ... it's official .. Troy is a boring ol' fart ... :#

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Al&Sharon » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:07 am

Dont know about salt water but carlton mid freezers at 20mins in the freezer hate that.
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:58 am

Scolers wrote:Yup ... it's official .. Troy is a boring ol' fart ... :#

8)

Scol.

I don't know. You try to help to expand our collective knowledge for the good of all, and what thanks do you get.......

Of course happy birthday to the really old fart (well he is older then me) who turns 43 tomorrow. :-bang

Troyk

Postby CCC » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:07 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ...... ya old codger ::()
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:18 pm

Troy your onto it!

Apparently normal water freezes at basically -1

Once water is actually frozen it is hard to get it colder than this freezing temp. (all to do with energy and what not).

Salt water however freezes at a lower temp (-21 apparently) So I am assuming that frozen salt water will bring the temperature in the esky down lower than normal ice - I wonder if once salt water is frozen if it thaws quicker and how quickly it collects energy (?) and gets warmer - ie will its temperature eventually overtake normal water?

I would assume the salt is in icecream to stop it crystalizing / frosting?
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations