Dry Ice - Whos used it?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Troyk » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:41 pm

Komodo,

The saltwater ice might be valid. The key is getting the concentration of the salt right

Here is some of the science behind it.
http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/solutions/faq/why-salt-melts-ice.shtml

What they are saying is that the addition of any solute will acheive the lowering of freezing point. Its just that salt is cheaper.

I am keen as anyone to find longer life ice, so I might do some experimenting. I'll post the results, it might just take a week or so though.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Cruzin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:00 pm

Hey Troy

Include "brine" in your searches

Before "new technology" (read any sort of powered refrigeration) was used in the prawning industry Brine was used to keep the catch fresh longer (cooked or raw) until the vessel got back to port (usually about 5 days at sea)

I've used dry ice heaps.

I recall the days of having to "order" the dry ice prior to Xmas and Easter breaks.

Wrap it up in many layers of paper
Place it on the bottom of the esky;
Place wet ice (preferably block) over it;
Sprinkle with salt - Optional - (preferably sea salt) this make the whole "cold thing" last longer.

Warnings -
maintain vigilence on what is going on in the esky;
as it begins to thaw (ie wet ice) ensure that there is a barrier between food and or drinks; as
the dry ice evaporates / turns to gas;
ensure all absorbing food products are enclosed as they absorb CO2 from the thawing dry ice ie effervesant cabbage, oranges and lettuce etc;
Cans will freeze but alcohol dosen't so open the XXXX and suck the alcohol and throw away the remaining ice block (ie can of frozen water) and repeat process...
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby destrier » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm

In regards to the salt water thing-

Get a saucepan of water and dissolve enough rock salt in it until a potatoe will float in it. The adding of salt actually increases the density of the water so eventually the water water will be so dense that the spud will float on the water.

From here you place the salt water into a container and leave it in the freezer, preferably for a week b4 use. Because the water is now a lot more dense the ice will also be denser and therefore will last longer.

Works well if it is kept in containers (eg plastic milk bottle) as obviously if you just throw the ice blocks straight into the esky you'll have salt water sitting in the bottom of it...not too flash if it contaminates your tucker!

Destrier
destrier

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:43 am

:*** at you guys all too high tec for me. All I can say is that salt water is fantastic for keeping prawns fresh.
If you put your prawns in a container with salt water in the fridge they stay tasty and firm.
Cheers
Chick
It's all about Beer, Hubbie, Fishing, Camping, Kids & Boating.. Oh and Me
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:47 pm

Hrmmm turns out salt water in those proportions are a crude form of eutectic solution...
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:52 pm

Komodo wrote:Hrmmm turns out salt water in those proportions are a crude form of eutectic solution...

For the uninitiated:

"Eutectic solution" - A chemical formulation which changes state (ie. freezes and thaws) without changing temperature.

For example: Distilled water completely freezes and thaws at 32 degrees F, therefore water is a "eutectic solution".

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Komodo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 pm

;) correct

And salt water of the correct density is from my understanding very similar to the eutectic solution uses in eutectic fridges such as the autofridge. Though they may use a more "exotic" solution made from substances like ethanol etc.

Im just having a brain wave - I might get a freind who works with aluminium to weld up a "tank" to replace the existing plastic dividers in the waeco to be filled with an eutectic solution to create a "hold down tank" / ice pack to improve the efficiency of the waeco for extended stays.

Any way - brain hurts now might stop thinking for a while
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Dry ice for camping

Postby baileysw » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:14 pm

Getting back to the topic of dry ice -

It is quite expensive. I used a block of normal ice (around $14) and then about $30 ( I think 1.5 kg) worth of dry ice for five days camping. I used a large plastic esky and still had ice (dry and normal) left at the end of the trip.

One problem though was that our esky was airtight and the gas (carbon dioxide) given off by the dry ice was absorbed into everything in the cooler. Not a problem if you let things thaw out properly but fruit and
anything unsealed had a weird sort of carbonated taste to it.
baileysw

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations