First time camping at Christmas!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

First time camping at Christmas!

Postby Jordan123 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:00 pm

Hi,

I'm going camping with one of my mates over the Christmas break (ie 27th Dec to 6th Jan). We are planning to start from Sydney and make our way north along the east coast, stopping off at beaches etc along the way and camping at night. Neither of us have done this before and I'm a little concerned to read a number of people say that you must book a campsite in advance! ..Does this apply to only Campervans or for tents as well? Because we don't know how far we'll be driving each day and hence, where we'll end up each night, we were planning on rocking up to the nearby camping ground and pitching a tent. I would be surprised if absolutely all the space is taken, but like I said I've never done this before! ..am I a little optimistic of our chances of finding somewhere along the coast? (BTW how much can you expect to pay for a spot to put a tent up?)

Any advise is much appreciated.
(sorry, I think I posted this question in the wrong area before - I'm a newbie)
Jordan123

Postby garbage » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:27 pm

Camping is surprisingly popular and the caravan parks on the coast are generally booked out months in advance when it comes to the school/public holidays. This applies to tents as well. Jervis Bay National Park, for example, has a ballot in the middle of the year to draw out names for people wanting to camp between Christmas and New Year. Crazy isn't it? If you can fix your itinerary, I'd suggest a ring around to see if there is any vacancy or if someone has cancelled.

Expect to pay anywhere between about $20-40 if you're staying at a caravan park.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Jordan123 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:10 pm

Well I was obviously being a little naive! Thanks for the response and the advice – I’m not too sure what we’ll end up doing, but we’ll work something out – otherwise, I hope the seats in the car recline! Cheers.
Jordan123

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:48 am

Jordan have a fantastic trip.
Cheers
Chick
It's all about Beer, Hubbie, Fishing, Camping, Kids & Boating.. Oh and Me
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Return to Camping Tips and Locations