Sandy Cape

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Sandy Cape

Postby Sharon27 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:35 pm

Hi

Stumbled upon this site when I googled free camping north of Perth.

Have come across Sandy Cape as a possible 'goer'.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

We're used to roughing it...

Have read that you can book ahead and been told you can't... is the truth out there somewhere???

I'm from Margaret River and myself, my husband and our 3 daughters 16, 12 and 6 love camping.

Thanks
Sharon
Sharon27

Postby Troyk » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:37 pm

Welcome Sharon. Can't help. Wrong side of the country. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Scolers » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:25 pm

It's a lovely spot just past Jurien. Toilets, no showers but basically on the beach front. You have to pay your fees at the Shire offies in Jurien ... I can't remember if you can do it online tho'. A 2wd can access it easily ... it's likely to be full this time of year tho'.

Hope this helps.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Sharon27 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:32 pm

Hmm, not too keen on the 'full' idea! Need to get away from the maddening hordes that attack Margaret River this time of year.

We won't be heading up that way until around 20th Jan... is it likely to have quietened down a little by then. Probably a stupid question without the use of a crystal ball.

Any other nice secluded spots near a good swimming area??

Thanks
Sharon
Sharon27

Postby Scolers » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:22 pm

I've found Cervantes to be much quieter around that time ... you could easily find a spot at the caravan park there and it wouldn't be crowded. So, hazarding a guess, I'd say that Sandy Cape should be ok

From memory you can't book a site at Sandy Cape. If you go and the place is full, just go back down the road 25k's to Cervantes and stake a claim at the caravan park. There's some good stuff around that area and if you have a 4wd you can go to Grey for a morning or afternoon trip.

I always preferred Cervantes to Jurien as it is much less 'yuppy' ... but that's just my own preference.

Good luck!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:30 am

Hello and welcome
It's all about Beer, Hubbie, Fishing, Camping, Kids & Boating.. Oh and Me
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

re Sandy Cape

Postby liany » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:45 pm

Hi Sharon

Sandy Cape is one of our favourite spots to camp...but you have to pick your times. We were up there at the start of December - caravans and RV had most of the good shady spots...luckily we have a big fold out gazebo otherwise would have fried. Some of the sites are pretty open.

Tends to be pretty windy a lot of the time...think it drops off around now. Camp ground sits behind the dunes then a short walk to a great protected bay. Good for swimming fishing etc. Also see dolphins, seals, stingrays etc cruising around.

Can't book sites unfortunately - probably chockers during school holidays. We made the mistake of going up a few easters ago. Managed to fit in but the toilet block was enough to make your eyes water!

There is a caretaker on site - he sometimes collects camping fees, otherwise you pay at the honour box at the entry.

Probably as close as you can get to beachcamping I think.

Hope this helps... can email you some pics if you like (not sure how to post them here yet)

cheers

Lian
liany

Postby Sharon27 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 pm

Thanks for that... have sent you a pm with my email address

Sharon
Sharon27

Return to Camping Tips and Locations