Where have you travelled, what are your favourite places

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:29 pm

So many places and so little time :lol:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby itchyant-senior » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:15 pm

Farina and Coward Springs (for the birdlife and an outdoor spa), Simpson Desert for beauty, Darling River banks for quietness and beside a mountain stream for solitude. Generally speaking though, I really think anywhere in the outdoors is great.
If you dream it - you can do it
itchyant-senior
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:30 pm

itchyant-senior wrote:Farina and Coward Springs (for the birdlife and an outdoor spa), Simpson Desert for beauty, Darling River banks for quietness and beside a mountain stream for solitude. Generally speaking though, I really think anywhere in the outdoors is great.

Itchyant-senior, I totally agree, both Farina Ruins and Coward Springs are great and what about Montecolina Bore on the Strzlecki and the Painted Desert south of Oodnadatta.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby kazzakanary » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:03 pm

We haven't been very far camping wise - but I love Tasmania and Fraser Island!
Bas and I will travel to north Qld and Uluru one day!!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:32 am

kazzakanary wrote:We haven't been very far camping wise - but I love Tasmania and Fraser Island!
Bas and I will travel to north Qld and Uluru one day!!

It will come Karen....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby kazzakanary » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:33 pm

Yeah I know - we would love to do it with the kids but now we have one working and the school hols are always so busy and we can't get enought time off together, blah , blah, blah - so yes IT WILL COME - one day!! :grin:
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:29 pm

kazzakanary wrote:Yeah I know - we would love to do it with the kids but now we have one working and the school hols are always so busy and we can't get enought time off together, blah , blah, blah - so yes IT WILL COME - one day!! :grin:

Sometimes you just have to make it happen rather than looking for an opportunity to present itself Karen.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:48 pm

kazzakanary wrote:Yeah I know - we would love to do it with the kids but now we have one working and the school hols are always so busy and we can't get enought time off together, blah , blah, blah - so yes IT WILL COME - one day!! :grin:

Yep, I remember the days when you could go anytime of the year for as long as you needed (thats if you had enought annual leave). Now we pretty much limited to three times a year and for a max of 2 weeks because of school holidays.

Hey, there is always retirement! Only 19 years to go.:grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Paul100 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:36 am

So far I've been to Tasmania x2 , Victorian High Country x5 , Simpson Desert x2 , Flinders Rangers x1 , Fraser Island x1 , Red Centre x2 .
Plus most of N.S.W

Haven't got to the Top End or W.A yet but can't wait too :grin:

I really like the Victorian High Country , all those mountain cattleman huts , trout filled streams , great 4wding & great views :grin:
Landcruiser 100TD [With the works]
Comftable ... Capable ... Powerfull ... Reliable
Paul100
Boy Scout

Postby geekcampgirl » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:40 pm

So no-one has yet mentioned Kangaroo Island.

Great beaches, fishing, scenery, wildlife, solitude.

And one time I will rent the lighthouse keepers cottage at Cape de Couedic and spend a week in winter with no one else around.
geekcampgirl
Camping King

Postby Al&Sharon » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:42 pm

Our favourite place has to be the brissy secret, great beachs, sandhills to tobogin down hate the climb up them though,wrecks to snorkel around,bayside quite swimming. rock and surf fishing surfside,lovely coves easy and safe 4x4 sand driving. lakes for swimming fires allowed bring your own wood, not as big as frazer but is still for us as beautiful.and where is it. MORTON I know its not really a secret but nice to think that way lol. Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby shasa_pa » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:19 pm

Flinders Rangers, Andamooka, Uluru, Olgas, Alice springs, Kings Canyon, Broome,Bundaberg to name a few. Rainbow Beach QLD would be the best relaxing (and quiet) spot I have ever visited.

Shasa_pa from Flinders & Beyond Camper Trailer Hire (Port Augusta)
shasa_pa
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:27 am

shasa_pa wrote: Rainbow Beach QLD would be the best relaxing (and quiet) spot I have ever visited.

I reckon Rainbow Beach would have to be the 4WD capital of Aust at holiday time.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:13 pm

We lived in Rockhampton for a while and loved camping at Stoney Creek near Yepoon. We spent a memorable night watching an amazing lightning storm happening over rocky while we sat high and dry in our camp,the colours of the lightning were amazing pinkks and blues ,it was pretty special. Another magical place was Blackdown Tablelands near Dingo,there is an amazing waterfall at Rainbow falls and while we were there there was an eel living in the pool that some guys were feeding beer. The fall is like something from a norsca ad you can stand right under it.
In NSW we have had great camps at the bridle track at hill end. One night we built a huge fire and laid blankets on the ground and watched the stars....they look so much better out there. Made lots of wishes because we saw so many shooting stars. We panned for and found actual gold(not much)which we kept in a camera film canister only to have it drunk by our 2yr old who thought it was a nice drink!
One of our most memorable trips was to Townsville My hubby was at uni at the time an had 3 months off so we set off from rocky for an extended trip hoping to make it to Cairns. That was the year of cyclone joy and we were in the midst of it. Trying to put a tent down in torrential rain and wind and telling my husband one day we will laugh about this....he was not impressed at the time. Everything we owned got wet and we had to decamp to an SES hostel till the cylone passed through.
Only once it did we couldn't go home as Rocky was cut off by Floods for 2 weeks. We made it as far as Mission Beach which is a beautiful place,camped in a lovely caravan park at South Mission Beach and shared the camp with cassowarys. The noise at night from the frog population was almost deafening.
Camping makes great memories!!!
mo
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:17 am

mo wrote:Camping makes great memories!!!

How true is this???
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations