What brand of esky??

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

What brand of esky??

Postby wannabee » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:44 am

Gidday all,

I am thinking about getting a new esky, but I am confused by the huge number of brands & models. At the moment I have a conventional Rubbermaid esky, which I improved by injecting foam into the lid. This will keep ice frozen for 3 or 4 days, but some of the more expensive brands claim 5+ days. Are they for real?

Apart from the well known brands, Supercheap and Big W have their own brands, lots cheaper than the better known ones. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they any good? Or is it a case where you get what you pay for?

Thanks,

Mike
wannabee

Postby Troyk » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:37 am

Mike,

I have one of those Tropical 82L poly ice boxes. Foam filled all round including lid. They are the orange ones you see outside Down Under Camping. I have still had ice after 8 days. Mind you we open it as little as possible. We also have a Waeco 3 way fridge, for milk , beer, drinks, butter etc which you get out all the time.

They are made in Caloundra, and have a good 3" lid.

I use the 1/3 ice rule, so I freeze 9 x 3L milk bottles, usually water but if we are going to be away for more than a few days, we might actually freeze a couple of them as milk.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:48 am

Troyk wrote:Mike,

I have one of those Tropical 82L poly ice boxes.

I use the 1/3 ice rule, so I freeze 9 x 3L milk bottles, usually water but if we are going to be away for more than a few days, we might actually freeze a couple of them as milk.

I also have one of these but the 52 litre model Mike. I bought mine from Down Under Camping as a 'second'. It had a couple of scratch marks on it.

It is used as a drinks esky so is opened frequently. I make my own 'hard' ice (15 kg block) before I leave home and also put frozen 3 litre bottles of water in if possible. I also top up with a bag of party ice from the supermarket before I leave home.

Taking into account that it is opened as frequently as it is, I still get a minimum of five days out of the 52 litre one. I imagine the bigger ones would get more.

When I did my research it was one of the cheaper ones on the market, I have had it a few years now so things may have changed in that time.

Cheers...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby waltzingmatilda » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:36 am

If you want a serious esky we have found our evakool to be excellent http://www.evakool.com.au/, we have a 40 litre one, cover the bottom with block ice using butter containers or larger and ice will last 3 days at least.
We bought ours because last year we went camping on the Murray River, campers with us had a larger Evakool with block ice in the bottom, after 3 days still had frozen meat and the temp was at least 30 degrees. that sold us, amazing!! Cheers
Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
http://www.blokesnsheilas.com.au
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations