SALE TIME

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

SALE TIME

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:24 pm

I am looking to purchase another Durarig/Ultrarig silver tarp, a 30 x 20.

With Easter only 10 weeks away I won't necessarily have the time to hunt about the camping stores and wondered if I could ask fellow forumites to let me know if they happen to see any particular camping outlet with them on sale before then to please let me know.

I know that Down Under do from time to time have 20% off these tarps but you can bet my bottom dollar if I were to rely on that then it would not happen.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers GL
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:08 pm

Just in case I do see something - what areas are in reasonable travel distance to you? Gold Coast, Brisbane, Tweed area?????
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:16 pm

amanda wrote:Just in case I do see something - what areas are in reasonable travel distance to you? Gold Coast, Brisbane, Tweed area?????

Thanks Amanda, the Brisbane area would be the most suitable for me. I am hoping that Down Under have a sale on before Easter but like I said, if I rely on it then it won't happen and I would like the tarp for easter if possible.

Cheers GL
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Cruzin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:28 am

Hi GL

Tentworld http://tentworld.com.au/ have a sale on right now.

There a few locations around Brizvegas.

rgds Shane
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:03 am

Cruzin wrote:Hi GL

Tentworld http://tentworld.com.au/ have a sale on right now.

There a few locations around Brizvegas.

rgds Shane

Just spoke to Kelly at Browns Plains (9am sat) and she says they do not have tarps on special at the moment. Maybe the sale is only on other items.

Thanks for the thought.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:28 am

GL, We bought our 20x30 silver tarp at KMart. Its their Jackaroo brand. From memory they had a 30% off camping gear sale a few weeks before easter. Mind you it was about 5 years ago.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:41 am

Troyk wrote:GL, We bought our 20x30 silver tarp at KMart. Its their Jackaroo brand. From memory they had a 30% off camping gear sale a few weeks before easter. Mind you it was about 5 years ago.

Thanks Troy.

I figured before Easter somewhere would be the go. I want either an Ultrarig or a Durarig tarp which of course is not available from Kmart.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:48 am

I take it you are after the ones with the eyelets as a ring attached to the sheet as opposed to the eyelet cut into the sheet.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:51 am

Troyk wrote:I take it you are after the ones with the eyelets as a ring attached to the sheet as opposed to the eyelet cut into the sheet.

Yep the ones with the D rings Troy. Have found them to be better performers over time.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:09 pm

Big W and K Mart have camping sales just before Easter every year.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:05 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:Big W and K Mart have camping sales just before Easter every year.

Neither of them carry the brand of tarp that I am looking to purchase which is rather unfortunate..
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:28 am

Gypsylady have you a photo of your 20 x 30 tarp setup (im assuming by your initial post you already have one) ?

Im looking at buying a new tarp and I am un decided what size to get. I was thinking 20 x 24 - but im wondering if I should go slightly bigger...
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:07 am

Komodo wrote:Gypsylady have you a photo of your 20 x 30 tarp setup (im assuming by your initial post you already have one) ?

Im looking at buying a new tarp and I am un decided what size to get. I was thinking 20 x 24 - but im wondering if I should go slightly bigger...

No, I am sorry I don't. I currently have a 20 x 24 which only just covers my CT and annex and this is why I am looking for a 20 x 30.

The 20 x 24 has a slight overhang on the 20' side but as my annex is 24' long I have no extra on it with the 24'.

With the 20 x 30 I expect to have just shy of 3' overhang each end, that is drawbar to tail end.

When I set up for a short period I only use the large tarp which doubles as an annex roof and I position it with more one side (front/rear of open CT or passenger/driver side) than the other depending upon which way the CT faces when set up.

To me, the front of the CT when open is the side where the kitchen is and the rear is the opposite to that.

So I use 30' across the annex drawbar to tail and 20' kitchen side to opposite.

Hope this helps Komodo.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:27 pm

Sounds good Gypsy!

Thanks that helps a lot I think the 24 x 20 will be a good size for me as I will have my other tarp for over the tent and the larger tarp so I can have a good area to sit under with a bit of over hang either side.

Now I just need to look into getting some more poles and a good square spreader bar.

I reacon these durarig / ultrarig tarps are the bees knees after going away with some freinds recently who have one - they are SUPER tough compared to other tarps I've used and the D rings are really really well designed - ive got to be honest previously I was skeptical of them but after using one im a convert!

Good luck with it gypsy - and make sure you get some pics of your setup to post up so we can all see :P
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:57 pm

Komodo wrote:Sounds good Gypsy!

Thanks that helps a lot I think the 24 x 20 will be a good size for me as I will have my other tarp for over the tent and the larger tarp so I can have a good area to sit under with a bit of over hang either side.

Now I just need to look into getting some more poles and a good square spreader bar.

I reacon these durarig / ultrarig tarps are the bees knees after going away with some freinds recently who have one - they are SUPER tough compared to other tarps I've used and the D rings are really really well designed - ive got to be honest previously I was skeptical of them but after using one im a convert!

Good luck with it gypsy - and make sure you get some pics of your setup to post up so we can all see :P

I have plenty of pics Komodo of my setup but none that actually show in detail the current tarp setup or how I expect it to work. .and lets not go there again about my not posting pics on the forum, PLEASE.

I have been using these particular tarps with D rings for a few years now and find they definitely superior to the standard type.

I also have one of these tarps (separate to the one already mentioned) which zips direct to my annex roof and this gives me an undercover area on 24' x 20'. I only use this on static camps over extended periods, such as Xmas, Easter etc.

We had 22 people all up over the xmas period and found they could all sit quite comfortably around the table in our camp under cover during the recent rainy periods.

Also use a square ridge pole on the extended tarp, have found that again it performs better than the round ones so support your suggestion to purchase one of those too.

I am confident that if you continue along the path you have suggested that you will end up with a very comfortable setup.

Cheers..
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations