SALE TIME

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Cruzin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:01 pm

I also use the square spreaderbar and use a centre tentpole with a U shaped end as support in the middle of the 20' bar.
The trick is to tie the spreader bar to the tent pole support (ie tie the adjustment control on both the pole and the bar) to stop them coming apart in strong wind gusts.
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:13 pm

LOL not a problem Gypsylady (I just did a search (man thats a difficult task on this site) to see what the photo issue was - personally I dont blame you. If you do want photos hosted in future though feel free to email them to me (kirk [at] skrobareng dot com dot au) - I have about 8 gig of unused storage space ;) on my web host)

I think with my smaller tarp over the tent the larger one over the meals / sitting area and the two awnings I'm going to fit to the patrol (looking at the open sky awnings with the infil panel) I should have a comfortable / easily adaptable setup.

Once again thanks for your invaluble advice gypsy.

Its true the square ridge poles are stronger than the round ones - its due to the fact that RHS is cold roled and is then EWR welded - now it is true that CHS is made the same way - but CHS has a larger radius and is only one radius. extrusions on the other hand would be stronger - but also far more expensive and probably wouldnt come in a thick enough wall thickness.
I'm going to lay my tarp down and take measurements and I'll make up a ridge pole from < 1.2 mtr sections with spigots from 25x25x2.0 and 20x20x2.0 duragal RHS this will weigh in at around 7.5kgs for the ridge pole of around 6mtrs which I think is fairly reasonable all things concidered. I'm going to find out if I can get aluminium in such sizes and if I can I'll use ally instead. Idealy id like to weld an end cap with a rotating eyelet at either end as this will still allow me to set the tarp up by myself should the need ever arise.

Gypsy do you guys use a centerpole inconjunction with the ridge pole - some people are suggesting that over 4.5 mtrs even with a ridge pole a center pole should really be used...

(Opps looks like I've hyjacked your thread - maybe a moderator should split this thread - sorry)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Shane you got a photo?
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Cruzin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:40 pm

Looking right now Komodo
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby Cruzin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:57 pm

Hi Komodo

There are 3x pics
Showing the centre pole with a tie-down lace from the Spreaderbar.
You can see from the first pic that the support pole is under pressure ie slighly higher then the spreader bar
The "finger tighteners" for the bar and the pole are the anchor points for the lace (rope).

On the second and third photo, do not confuse the seams of the tarp with the 'tie down' lace..

I bought the U shaped tentpole ends from BCF and have seen them at DownUnder camping stores.

eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby Cruzin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:59 pm

OOOpps wrong oder of Pics

First and third for the "seams"
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:40 am

Excellent!

Looks like a good little setup there Shane.
Any chance you know what size your tarp is? that looks like the size I need (perhaps I may need slightly bigger actually as my dome is a bit bigger than that)
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:01 pm

Komodo wrote:LOL not a problem Gypsylady (I just did a search (man thats a difficult task on this site) to see what the photo issue was - personally I dont blame you. If you do want photos hosted in future though feel free to email them to me (kirk [at] skrobareng dot com dot au) - I have about 8 gig of unused storage space ;) on my web host)

Once again thanks for your invaluble advice gypsy.

Gypsy do you guys use a centerpole inconjunction with the ridge pole - some people are suggesting that over 4.5 mtrs even with a ridge pole a center pole should really be used...

Thanks Komoda for your wonderful offer to host pics for me, your most kind gesture is greatly appreciated.

Re the centre pole, no we have done the centre pole in times past but never had a lot of success with it, hence the current application which I will endeavour to describe below.

We do rope it down where it joins to the annex roof/spreader. Have screwed/riveted a saddle clamp to the underside of square ridge pole in order to achieve this.

The rope has a carabina type fastener one end which hooks into the sadle clamp and then is pegged to the ground the opposite end. It is a standard rope complete with spring and adjuster, just perhaps a bit shorter than the others.

Hope this sounds a little clearer to you than it appears. Cheers GL
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Komodo wrote:

Its true the square ridge poles are stronger than the round ones - its due to the fact that RHS is cold roled and is then EWR welded - now it is true that CHS is made the same way - but CHS has a larger radius and is only one radius. extrusions on the other hand would be stronger - but also far more expensive and probably wouldnt come in a thick enough wall thickness.
I'm going to lay my tarp down and take measurements and I'll make up a ridge pole from < 1.2 mtr sections with spigots from 25x25x2.0 and 20x20x2.0 duragal RHS this will weigh in at around 7.5kgs for the ridge pole of around 6mtrs which I think is fairly reasonable all things concidered. I'm going to find out if I can get aluminium in such sizes and if I can I'll use ally instead. Idealy id like to weld an end cap with a rotating eyelet at either end as this will still allow me to set the tarp up by myself should the need ever arise.

Lost me, but sounds GREAT Komodo. I reckon if you put that much thought into the logisitics of it, it has to work..
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Cruzin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:14 pm

Sorry Komodo,
I've just been looking hard at the pics and there are no seams in the tarp that are "viewable".

In the pic where my dog Ziggy is looking back over her shoulder, you can see the following very clearly, the tent's forward ropes (either side of the entrance) are actually hoisted over the spreaderbar and are then tied to the pole adjusters. (not good in a bloody big breeze)

But The same principle prevails and I believe that I changed the set up straight after the pic was taken. ie just the spreader bar tie down

The size of the tarp is from memory is about 6x7 metres.

rgds
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Re: SALE TIME

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:30 pm

gypsylady wrote:I am looking to purchase another Durarig/Ultrarig silver tarp, a 30 x 20.

Well I am still looking to purchase this tarp if anyone knows of anywhere that has these particular tarps on sale please.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:52 pm

gypsylady wrote:
gypsylady wrote:I am looking to purchase another Durarig/Ultrarig silver tarp, a 30 x 20.

Well I am still looking to purchase this tarp if anyone knows of anywhere that has these particular tarps on sale please.

Actually not sure I have ever seen them on sale.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:07 pm

Derek wrote:

Derek

Yeah Derek Down Under do have them at 20% off at times, just not now. I think all the other tarps like this that I have purchased have all came from there on sale.

I would like to have it for easter, I think it is going to be a wet one this year.

There is a great little Camping Disposals store at Sumner Park and they often have very different things and often cheaper than the avearage camp store but not this time.

You should check it out sometime, I can spend hours in there poking about.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:13 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Derek wrote:

Derek

Yeah Derek Down Under do have them at 20% off at times, just not now. I think all the other tarps like this that I have purchased have all came from there on sale.

I would like to have it for easter, I think it is going to be a wet one this year.

There is a great little Camping Disposals store at Sumner Park and they often have very different things and often cheaper than the avearage camp store but not this time.

You should check it out sometime, I can spend hours in there poking about.

Must go see that one as well. Not to far from here.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Derek wrote:
Must go see that one as well. Not to far from here.

That is exactly why I suggested it.....

lots of army surplus stuff too...things you do not see about any more.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations