Flinders Ranges Ideas!!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Flinders Ranges Ideas!!

Postby waltzingmatilda » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:14 am

Hi, we are going to Flinders Ranges on way home from Central Australia next June/July holidays, we have not been there. Do you have any suggestions about Flinders, where to stay and what to see. 2 adults, 2 teenage kids, no pets and camping in tents & 4WD. Can't wait-too many sleeps to count :lol:
Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
http://www.blokesnsheilas.com.au
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Re: Flinders Ranges Ideas!!

Postby itchyant-senior » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:41 pm

waltzingmatilda wrote:Hi, we are going to Flinders Ranges on way home from Central Australia next June/July holidays, we have not been there. Do you have any suggestions about Flinders, where to stay and what to see. 2 adults, 2 teenage kids, no pets and camping in tents & 4WD. Can't wait-too many sleeps to count :lol:

A number of years ago I overnighted in a magical spot on our way to the Simpson Desert.
My directions are as follows - Travelling from Broken Hill toward Adelaide you turn right at Yunta. Travel north past Waukaringa Goldfields, Round Hill, Curnamona Homestead, left at Frome Downs Homestead, turn left and go through Wearing Gorge and then left into Mt Chambers Gorge. Trust me, you will not be dissapointed. You can only stand and walk there and marvel at the rock engravings, the shear rocky cliffs, the bushwalking and listen to the early morning chorus of the birdsong. There is a small creek that runs through the gorge and hopefully you will find running water. In season, the Sturt Desert pea is very prolific.
I hope you find it as interesting as I did.
If you dream it - you can do it
itchyant-senior
Camping King

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:06 pm

There are several full service places - Arkaroola, Wilpena Pound, Hawker etc. That is powered sites showers etc

There are also several areas to camp that have a long drop only.

Some beaut drives but give yourself time to do some walking and I bet you'll take lots of photos. :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Rawnsley Park is good!

Postby shasa_pa » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Andamooka, Wilpena Pound, Rawnsley Park (have a restaurant there), Parachilna (quiet setting),Hawker. Could always drive up to Quorn from Port Augusta and get on the Pichi Richi Steam Train..kids would enjoy that - no matter what age!
Cheers
Shasa_pa from FLINDERS & BEYOND CAMPER TRAILER HIRE (Port Augusta)
shasa_pa
Boy Scout

Return to Camping Tips and Locations