NSW - Abercrombie River National Park

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

NSW - Abercrombie River National Park

Postby Malcur » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:29 am

Hi,

I am thinking of going to Abercrombie River Nat Park for Aus Day long weekend. My sister & b-in-law would also be coming with their off-road caravan. Can anyone recommend any camping spots, and are they suitable for a camper trailer & off-road van?

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Re: Abercrombie River National Park

Postby itchyant-senior » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:55 pm

Malcur wrote:Hi,

I am thinking of going to Abercrombie River Nat Park for Aus Day long weekend. My sister & b-in-law would also be coming with their off-road caravan. Can anyone recommend any camping spots, and are they suitable for a camper trailer & off-road van?

Mal

Looking at the map I notice there are camping grounds in the National Park, at the caves and at Wyangla. Hope this helps
If you dream it - you can do it
itchyant-senior
Camping King

Postby Paul100 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:48 am

Hi Mal

The drought destroyed the Abercrombie & Retreat Rivers & Silent Creek , if your looking for a fish [Trout] not sure how you will go ? .
It'll probably be quite dry & dusty as always there ?

On the main Oberon/Goulburn Road - Bumaroo Ford is the main camp ground - but you have a wire fence that seperates you from your vehicle [well for camping anyway]
Campgrounds in the 4WD section of the park are - The Beach , The Sink & Silent Creek .
Silent Creek has the most room , The Beach has the biggest waterhole .
Tracks are quite steep & very narrow & can be reasonably rough , take care if towing a camper trailer , but a off-road van ..... ?
It'll be hard to reverse if needed while towing on these tracks !
There is also a old hut & cattle yards to see in the N/Park .

Wyangla Dam is quite low at the moment , camping/towing is fine at the Abercrombie Caves [& worth a look-see] .

Hope that helps .
Cheers Paul
Landcruiser 100TD [With the works]
Comftable ... Capable ... Powerfull ... Reliable
Paul100
Boy Scout

Postby Malcur » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:26 am

Thanks for the replies. We are not into fishing so that won't be a problem for us. The main requirement is somewhere with a view to sit & relax, and use as a good base camp for some exploring. :+

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations