need help! camp road trip with dog - vic/nsw

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

need help! camp road trip with dog - vic/nsw

Postby bellac » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:04 pm

Hi everyone,
In need of some help. I'm trying to organize a getaway with my boyfriend and our dog. Starting in melbourne, we really have no exact preference of travel, except that it must be available for our friendly little friend. We have around 7-8 days available, and are happy to travel interstate - planning on hiring a wicked van (camper van style travel) to do so. ideally though we would love a mix of coast and bush, and places a bit more off the beaten track - away from the whole community camp site environment - as we're celebrating an anniversary ;)
Any help would be MUCH appreciated,
thanks!!!
bellac

Postby kazzakanary » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:32 pm

I live in Qld so can't really help - I am sure a Melbournite will give some ideas!!
Welcome to the site!!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Re: need help! camp road trip with dog - vic/nsw

Postby itchyant-senior » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:47 pm

My only suggestion is try somewhere closer then 7-8 hours, why spend all that time travelling when there are so many beautiful locations. I like Buchan Caves and Bright but I know that may be too far from the salty water.
By the way - welcome to the site
If you dream it - you can do it
itchyant-senior
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:30 am

bellac wrote:Hi everyone,
In need of some help. I'm trying to organize a getaway with my boyfriend and our dog. Starting in melbourne, we really have no exact preference of travel, except that it must be available for our friendly little friend. We have around 7-8 days available, and are happy to travel interstate - planning on hiring a wicked van (camper van style travel) to do so. ideally though we would love a mix of coast and bush, and places a bit more off the beaten track - away from the whole community camp site environment - as we're celebrating an anniversary ;)
thanks!!!

WELCOME Bellac. I would recommend that you go to the RACV and check out what publications they have available for people travelling with their canine family.

See what places you think look interesting and then search them on http://www.whereis.com.au to get an idea of how far away they are.

Hope this helps

Cheers...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:49 pm

There are travelling with dogs books available. Try the RACV as a start. The dog will restrict you to commercial parks and some free camping areas but will exclude you from National Parks especially in NSW.
Whatever hope you all (including the dog) have a great holiday :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:19 am

Blue Bravo wrote:There are travelling with dogs books available. Try the RACV as a start. The dog will restrict you to commercial parks and some free camping areas but will exclude you from National Parks especially in NSW.
Whatever hope you all (including the dog) have a great holiday :grin:

A lot of Top Tourist Parks are pet friendly.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CCC » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:13 am

bellac wrote:....... and places a bit more off the beaten track - away from the whole community camp site environment - as we're celebrating an anniversary ;)

WOW a Wicked Van ... cool... I have seen them float by now and then ... all painted differently ::()

State Forests are pet friendly (as long as they are on a lead and no harm to anyone) and away from community camp site environments ... which I also prefer for privacy

Have a 'wicked' anniversary guys :armsup
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:02 pm

Central Coast Campers wrote:
WOW a Wicked Van ... cool... I have seen them float by now and then ... all painted differently ::()

:armsup

Never heard of them before and lo and behold saw one in Brisbane city on Friday morning. Definitely eye catching...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CCC » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:40 am

bellac wrote: - planning on hiring a wicked van (camper van style travel) to do so.

Do you have a particular van design in mind ? there are so many on the site
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:40 am

bellac wrote:Hi everyone,
thanks!!!

And when were you planning to do this bellac or has it happened already??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations