Camping Locations on Google Maps

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping Locations on Google Maps

Postby TheFox » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi Guys,

I wrote an extension to Google Maps and Google Earth, mapping the camping grounds in National Parks. It is currently limited to the camping grounds in the 100 most popular parks in NSW. I'm planning to expand the list to also cover camping grounds in other states as well, but I want to have some feedback first to hear whether this is of any use to anybody?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated :)

The maplet is available at
http://www.jandevos.org/maplets/

Thanks,
Jan
TheFox

Re: Camping Locations on Google Maps

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:44 pm

TheFox wrote:Hi Guys,

I wrote an extension to Google Maps and Google Earth, mapping the camping grounds in National Parks. It is currently limited to the camping grounds in the 100 most popular parks in NSW. I'm planning to expand the list to also cover camping grounds in other states as well, but I want to have some feedback first to hear whether this is of any use to anybody?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated :)

The maplet is available at
http://www.jandevos.org/maplets/

Thanks,
Jan

Sounds great and looks good Jan, however NPs are of no use to me or anyone who camps with their canine family.

In saying that though I am sure there are a lot of campers who would be interested in the NPs.

Cheers Gypsy...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Al&Sharon » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:19 pm

really good Jan Im sure lots will access that info, I know if you did extend it to other states it would be apreciated. :+ :+ :+
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:20 pm

Jan

I have had a look and I think it will be quite useful.

Do you know if you could do a search by say feature. Say if you wanted to show the sites with showers?

Thanks for he post and you efforts. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Maps

Postby Activity_Dept » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:57 pm

Yes good work Jan. We are working on a mapping tool ourselves also some media streaming work we hope to get done. Are you a contractor?

The trick with much of this stuff is commercialization, there are some great Api's out there and I guess creating stuff like this is good to promote your skills, create convenience for the consumer and continue to build Google’s dominance but for the rest of us it continues to erode our market position but I guess this is progress and of course the Google strategy...

Anyway let me know if you do any contract work.

:beer
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby will_deness » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:41 pm

I use this overlay all the time http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded ... ber=535499 . Helps to see how far the "5 mins to beach shops etc" really is.I had a few others but they wern.t very accurate at all.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Camping Locations on Google Maps

Postby TheFox » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:49 pm

gypsylady wrote:Sounds great and looks good Jan, however NPs are of no use to me or anyone who camps with their canine family.

Hi Gypsy,

Thank you for your feedback.

I have been concentrating on National Parks because most commercial camping grounds are fairly well documented.

Best regards,
Jan
TheFox

Postby TheFox » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:14 pm

Troyk wrote:Do you know if you could do a search by say feature. Say if you wanted to show the sites with showers?

Hi Troyk,

The National Parks website has a handy search page for searching for and comparing campgrounds. I use it quite frequently myself.

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/par ... pingGround

Jan
TheFox

Postby kazzakanary » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:14 pm

I would use it!! Gr8 idea!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby CCC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:56 pm

What an excellent tool, Well Done Jan, I and many many other members will no doubt use this.

thankyou :+ :+
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations