ground sheet

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

ground sheet

Postby J`CRUISER » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:31 pm

ok for number 1 question from a new member.
i have a question regarding ground sheets. i see some people use tarps and some shade cloth.
my situation is that i have a tent, 6.5 x 3.0 with a 30' x 24' tarp to cover the tent and give the family a shady/dry spot to be, we have a few kids. I have decided to get a tarp the same size as my 30' x 24' for a ground sheet but this has made me think. how do I get my pegs through the ground sheet? i know I could cut a hole but after a period of time this would rip and the ground sheet would be stuffed. i have thought of cutting a hole and getting some canvas glueing and stitching this around the hole. is this the right approach? what do others do? help would be appreciated. sorry for the dumb question.
Jeff
J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby Al&Sharon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:53 pm

hi Jeff you can get a eyelet climp from bunnings or try bcf then you can put your holes in the place you want and you wont have a split or rip. Al Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby J`CRUISER » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:06 pm

thanks Alan. would i be able to get a size to suit a sand peg? the poly type. thanks in advance Jeff
J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby Pauly » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:28 am

Can I suggest you re think your idea.

It really isnt advisable to have a tarp under your tarp or a tarp bigger than your fly under your tent.

When it rains all the water will puddle on the tarp and in heavy rains you will risk getting lots of water sitting under your tent.

I use shade cloth under my tent so if water does get under it it can drain away. You can buy a matting style material similar to the anti slip stuff for under the tarp if you really need it.

Cheers Paul
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:08 am

Pauly wrote:Can I suggest you re think your idea.

It really isnt advisable to have a tarp under your tarp or a tarp bigger than your fly under your tent.

When it rains all the water will puddle on the tarp and in heavy rains you will risk getting lots of water sitting under your tent.

I use shade cloth under my tent so if water does get under it it can drain away. You can buy a matting style material similar to the anti slip stuff for under the tarp if you really need it.

Cheers Paul

I am with Paul on this one, he is so on the mark with regard to the water puddling.

Shade cloth is definitely a better way to go and way less expensive.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby J`CRUISER » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:07 pm

thanks people. i am off to bunnings on saturday to get me some shade cloth. is it advisable to use shade cloth under the tarp area as well? or get a tarp for that area?
J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby Cruzin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:20 pm

We use multiple sized ground sheets (shade cloth) joined together

I had them hemmed and laid them out and placed eyelets in the hem to "extend" to a larger size. To match under the tarp or with the Camper trailer set up we use at different times.
We use those small tent pegs to pass through both eyelets.

I also placed a few eylets where the "tent" pegs go through. But I am not convinced this was a good idea as Shade cloth only slightly distorts when using these pegs without eyelets and if I bought a different tent the existing eyelets maybe in the incorrect position.

rgds
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:26 am

J`CRUISER wrote:thanks people. i am off to bunnings on saturday to get me some shade cloth. is it advisable to use shade cloth under the tarp area as well? or get a tarp for that area?

I use Oztrail Ultramesh which you can purchase from BCF and a number of camping outlets. It comes already hemmed with eyelets in a carry bag and is reasonable priced.

It comes in a variety of sizes 8 x 8; 12 x 8; 16 x 8 and 20 x 8.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby HGMonaro » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:10 am

Are people putting shade cloth under their tent? Wouldn't have thought that did the job of isolating your tent floor from the ground moisture.

When we use our tent, we put down a poly tarp about the size of the tent. Also, shade cloth can be might slippery when damp (if using it as ground matting) so be careful walking on it.

I'm prepared to be educated ;)
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:21 am

HGMonaro wrote:Are people putting shade cloth under their tent? Wouldn't have thought that did the job of isolating your tent floor from the ground moisture.

When we use our tent, we put down a poly tarp about the size of the tent. Also, shade cloth can be might slippery when damp (if using it as ground matting) so be careful walking on it.

I'm prepared to be educated ;)

The problems with a tarp is that water can pool in between the 2 as mentioned in the above posts.

Slippery shade cloth under a tent floor would not be an issue and I doubt it would be any more slippery than wet poly tarp.

Cheers G
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations