Moreton Island Camping Grounds

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Moreton Island Camping Grounds

Postby amanda » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:51 pm

My sister and her family will be visiting during the Victorian school holidays around Easter time, and we are wanting to spend a week on Moreton Island. Having never been there before (un Queenslander of me I know), can anyone give me a bit of a low down on the different camping grounds:

Blue Lagoon
Eagers Creek
Ben-Ewa
The Wrecks
Comboyuro

Do you have a favourite, and if so why?
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby skip » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:15 pm

hey, how many are going? do you need toilets and showers?
i can only remember Blue Lagoon and The Wrecks

The Wrecks are good but if you have a 4wd you cant drive in to the camp site. theres toilets and showers from what i remember.

Blue Lagoon would be my pick for a family as they have flushable toilets and showers. its good for beach fishing and swimming and you have the blue lagoon fresh water swimming lake right behind the campground. only bad thing is the drive over on middle road.

when we went over we just camped in one of the inlets on the east side of the island.
skip
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:41 am

Thanks Sip. There'll be 7 of us - 5 adults and two teens. The 17 year old "princess" would insist on showers and toilets, however the rest of us wouldn't mind. We will have a 4WD, so Blue Lagoon sounds like the spot so far. Thanks for the advice.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby AussieSunset » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:31 pm

I've been to the wrecks a few times and with a tribe of kids(8-15yrs) and adults and we loved it. If your real sneaky like we are, we had hot showers at tangalooma where they hire out the wind surfer stuff as they had showers in there at the back. There were only compost toilets and cold showers at the camp site when i was last there some years ago. But as for things to do with teens i think the wrecks are great as you have sand boarding, snorkling the wrecks and close to tangalooma. Plus if your sneeky again just go on the beach at tangalooma around the 5ish mark and just look like your a guest there and then you have night entertainment at tangalooma when you come back off the beach. They usually tell campers to go home at around 5pm but if your not yahoo's they generally dont mind lol.
I know i'm a naughty girl and only paid $3.50/night at the camp site instead of $350/night at tangalooma and got to use all of tangalooma's facilities :lol: but it works 8)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby amanda » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:56 am

Yes it's sneaky, but an excellent tip - thanks!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Camping Tips and Locations