what are these?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

what are these?

Postby J`CRUISER » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:35 am

ok dumb question time below i have some pics of poles that i got with a second hand tarp i purchased. i think they are to do with the spreader bar? They are all adjustable in length. if any one could help me out it would be appreciated.

J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:57 am

The two tops I have on my CT. You are right they are horizontal poles.

The bit on the left goes through the top pin of a standard pole. Probalby guessed that bit. The bit on the right, the L hook, may go into the side of a pole. Does a vertical pole have a hole in the side. or is there a hook coming off one of the vertical poles.

I cannot make out the bit on the left side of the bottom pole. Any chance of another photo of that bit. Is it the same as the right end or is it like the a C shape attached to the end?

If it is a C shaped bit it just clicks onto a pole of the same diameter
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby J`CRUISER » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:53 pm

it has a hole like the ones above it but it is plastic. thanks for your help
J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby Blue Bravo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:56 pm

They are spreaders to go from the outside of the annexe back to the trailer to give the annexe some structure. Got them with the annexe to go with our cub camper
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:09 pm

Or if you have a tarp to keep the tarp straight horizontally so it don't sag. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby J`CRUISER » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:50 pm

thanks people. they must be for a smaller tarp as i dont think they will be long enough for my 30' x 24'.
J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:52 pm

J`CRUISER wrote:thanks people. they must be for a smaller tarp as i dont think they will be long enough for my 30' x 24'.

You can get them in various lengths and also square as opposed to the round ones that you have.

I recommend that you purchase a square one for your 20 x 30 tarp as they are stronger in construction and perform better over greater lengths. The one we have comes in 3 pieces giving you two areas of adjustment as opposed to one.

There is actually another thread on this forum that explains them in more technical terms and why they are better. (not written by me)

The ones you have are fine for an annex or small tarp but nothing too big, definitely not your 30 x 20 tarp.

We have found that with a bit of wind the L bits will actually pop out of the ring that they go into on the side of our camper and have bent them slightly to try and overcome this. We also do not tighten them off completely so that there is a little more flexibility in them when it is windy.

It is better but not the complete answer.

Cheers......
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby J`CRUISER » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:30 pm

thanks for the help. i am off to BCF in the morning to get the correct size for the tarp. going to give setting it up a go tomorrow in the park next to home.
J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:55 pm

J`CRUISER wrote:thanks for the help. i am off to BCF in the morning to get the correct size for the tarp. going to give setting it up a go tomorrow in the park next to home.

That is a pretty smart thing to do, always best to give it a try out before you go camping. The more times you put it up the easier it will become.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations