gas bottles

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

gas bottles

Postby J`CRUISER » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:09 pm

just wondering if anyone knows a place on the sunny coast that re-certifies gas bottles? and if so what price for 4.5kg size?
i was going through my camping gear and noticed that 2 of my bottles have only 12mths left on them. the bottles look brand new as they have been kept in a dry place and looked after. so instead of just throwing them away i would like to get them checked and re ticked. any one have an idea?
J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:27 pm

can you swap and go (cylinder swap) them?

I've never priced it up to have bottle checked.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby J`CRUISER » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:01 pm

i could do that but i have always had a thing for owning my own gas bottles. have not looked at what it costs swap v getting it filled.
J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:10 pm

I was in the same boat as you, only mine was nearing 10 years OUT of date :lol: (Bottle was a hand-me-down)

Anyway, moved to a little town and everyone one here checks the dates before they fill them :roll: Went and got mine re-checked, was less than $15 IIRC.

Whilst I don't know anyone that checks them in your area, the joint that did mine was actually a fire protection mob. Supplied/tested/fitted pretty much anything to do with fire - alarms, detectors, extinguishers etc etc. So you could look for a similar place in your local Yellowpages. Failing that, drop into your local fire station one day, surely they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby J`CRUISER » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:27 pm

thanks for that. i will ring a couple of the gas supply places tomorrow failing that i will check the fire brigade.
seems such a waste to throw 2 bottles with no sign of rust etc away. i would not mind paying $15 a bottle to have a bottle checked.
J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:14 pm

$15 per bottle is cheap as chips especially if your bottle is in good condition.

I have one that needs checking so i'll chase up supagas
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Gas bottle tests

Postby oldtrack123 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi J Cruiser
I have found most camping stores can arrange to get them tested,if they do refills.
It is much to have refills than swap & go about $20against $28.
oldtrack123
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations