Making a great campfire

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Making a great campfire

Postby No_Eyed_Deer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi All,

I did a quick search thru the posts but couldn't really find anything to help me out....so here is my question (sorry if it seems dumb to some)...how do I go about making a good camp fire for cooking on, I will be using a bbq plate? I mean we know how to make a fire, but at what stage would the bbq plate be ready for cooking meat on (no flames, only coals??)?

I don't particularly like my snags charcoaled beyond existence (although my dad does!) so any advice would be great.

Thanks
No_Eyed_Deer
Boy Scout

Postby Pauly » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:22 pm

If you start your fire early you can get a good coal base, the coals are a more consistant heat and if you need more you just put on a bit of wood. I dont cook over the fire anymore, gas is much easier for me.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:27 pm

smaller pieces of wood will burn down to coals quicker so if you need coals in a hurry ...

Also dont cook over too many coals or you'll burn the outside but you wont cook the inside of your meat because you will have too much heat

You need to char your meat slightly to get the taste into it (much like adding a pinch of salt) but then things like steak should still be pink-red on the inside so you dont want the plate too cold either
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:32 pm

I made my own plate, what I do when we have a campfire is grab a couple shovels full of coal and put them under plate which is a bit off to the side of the fire. Works really well because its sooo much easier to control the heat that way. Either by grabbing more coals or taking some away.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:33 pm

I think it may be a cave man thing but generally you get a roaring fire and chuck the meat on, drink beer and turn the meat over several hundred times till its burnt.

Metro sexuals like myself use gas :--?
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby No_Eyed_Deer » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:I think it may be a cave man thing but generally you get a roaring fire and chuck the meat on, drink beer and turn the meat over several hundred times till its burnt.

Sure sounds like the way hubby would go about it! He reckons you can't cook a good barbie without a cold beverage in your hand :beer

Thanks for the tips everyone! I esp like yours Will about grabbing the coals out and putting them off to the side with your plate. Sounds like a good system.

I guess if we get the plate too hot and burn the meat beyond existence the kids can always have a can of baked beans!

Cheers Everyone!
No_Eyed_Deer
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:02 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:I think it may be a cave man thing but generally you get a roaring fire and chuck the meat on, drink beer and turn the meat over several hundred times till its burnt.

I love abusing my powers :booty

And FYI, I only cook on gas at home :$ . I asked about making a campfire in the living room of my flat but the real estate agent got cranky :?

And for the record, Making a great campfire involves two things. Copious amounts of wood, and copious amounts of flammable liquids :armsup
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Al&Sharon » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:21 am

Glen had to laugh at your answer thats what Id do,
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Blue Bravo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:26 pm

I forgot to mention that you leave a couple of sausages on the plate to get cold and covered in fat for a let night snack :lol:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations