advise on what to do on tent floor

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

advise on what to do on tent floor

Postby steve80 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:59 pm

Gday just after some advise on what to do, I have a GeoFamily8 tent from Rays outdoors and every time we use it I lay a tarp doubled over under it and we are using inflatable double sized mattreses with blankets wrapped around them as well as the normal blankets/doonas but it still gets bitterly cold in bed as if the cold is transfering from the ground through the mattress I know this sounds silly but thats what appears to be happening I have tried wrapping them with a opened sleeping bag and not really any difference. Any tips or advise would be most welcome Cheers Steve
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:18 pm

I have found placing those rubber type matts that click together quite good. I think you get them in packs of about 8 at the camping stores.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby will_deness » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:55 pm

amanda wrote:I have found placing those rubber type matts that click together quite good. I think you get them in packs of about 8 at the camping stores.

Ditto here too
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby AussieSunset » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:32 pm

I'm going to get some of those too as i think it will help with that prob as well as my dog wont put her claws through the floor of the tent so double reason for me.
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby steve80 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks for replies I will look into getting some of them and giving them a try any idea how much they are?
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby will_deness » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Any where from $15-$20 for four, I think from off the top of my head they are 500 x 500 mm each
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:27 pm

We found that using the inflatables meant that keeping warm was difficult as it is the air between you and the ground that is getting cold. We switched to self inflating matresses which are much thinner but also much denser and slept well albeit much lower to the ground :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby steve80 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:07 pm

I never thought of it might be the air in the mattress its amazing you just cant seem to get warm with them and we had plenty of blankets etc cheers steve
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby steve80 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:25 pm

will_deness thank for that will look at getting some cheers steve
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Yep you definately freeze with an air mattress,i camped at O`reillys in winter once BBBrrrrrr the ranger gave me a stack of newspapers to put under the tent floor to stop the cold coming through,worked a treat,also an inch thick piece of foam between the mattress and you.Foam is very warm,many years ago my sister in law made me a camp blanket,she sewed a piece of foam between a blanket and a sheet,unbelievably warm,I now have a camp bed off the ground.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby steve80 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:39 pm

Thanks poodle jewel everyone seems to be agreeing on the subject. At least I know now its not just happening to me. I think I will dump the air matresses and opt for something different. The foam sounds like a good idea. cheers steve
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby s4j » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:54 pm

we got caught out with a few chilly nights one trip...well the boys suffered for one night....solution for the rest of the trip was to use the car windscreen shades....the foil type of bubble wrap looking ones.....placed these under the two air mattresses and not a peep out of the boys.....yeah we did have two...recently bought..one was for the 2nd car but it proved to be too short for the windscreen so was still in my car to be returned.....cheap as alternative...they were under $5 each...
The camera's are mine...the closest he will get is holding the umbrella when it rains.
s4j
Camping King

Postby Chippy76 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:11 pm

ok .here is my 2 cents worth ... Years of scouting and working in the army has taught me a few things ... 1) Either sleep directly on the ground (on a tarp or something) in a QUALITY sleeping bag ..... (not so comfortable) or get off the ground with a stretcher or hammock. We have one of those folding beds with an air mattress on top ... The cold from the earth doesnt migrate throught the air mattress once it isnt in contact with the ground. We have also used hotwater bottles a few hours before bed to heat the air in the mattress ... so when we got to bed it is toasty warm. My othe tip for cold weather camping is ... sleep with little (por nothing ) on ... The heat from your body transfers to the bed clothes / sleeping bag faster and more efficiently if there is not 5 layers of clothes to get thru ... i hope that helps in some regard! Cheers:D
Chippy76
Captain Camping

Solution

Postby itchyant-senior » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:07 pm

I don't know why someone hasn't suggested it before - Place sheets of newspaper under the mattress (paper is an excellent way of keeping you warm). 2-3 peices thick and the full width/length of the mattress will keep you warm.
If you dream it - you can do it
itchyant-senior
Camping King

Postby steve80 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:53 am

Thanks for responses and all the great ideas I might try a few of them together next time Cheers Steve
steve80
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations