Where to camp near water but with out other people around?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Where to camp near water but with out other people around?

Postby conmanturley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi Folks,

We are heading away for a bit of a long weekend on the 8th/9th/10th March and are looking for somewhere to go.

The wish list from the fellow campers is as follows:

1) About 3.5hours ish from Sydney

2) Near water(fresh or salt) so that one of us can fish(doesn't need to catch anything just be seen to attempt)

3) No one else around.

4) like to be able to have a campfire but not essential.

Not a fussy bunch eh???? :shock:

Any ideas would be greatly received.

Went to the state forest near Lithgow over the New Year on Ozziecamperboy's :armsup advice on this site and it was spot on.

Love to get great advice again with this harder set of requirements.

Thanks.
conmanturley
Camping King

Postby will_deness » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:02 pm

only place i can think of with all those requirments is the local sewerage treatment plant.
Only joking, I really have no Idea :***
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:17 pm

All jokes aside
Maybe the back blocks of lake Maquarie? I havn't lived in Newcastle and Sydney since the early eighties, so its prolly changed a lot since then.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:38 pm

The problem is the no other people bit.
You could consider Mungo Brush in Myall National Park near Hawks Nest (salt water lake and ocean).
Dunn's Swamp near Rylstone (fresh water). Have visited bith and they are pretty well set up for camping. Toilets but no showers.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Pauly » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:55 pm

Good luck with back blocks around Lake Mac, we live here and struggle to find anywhere even in the boat.
You can try either Windermere dam, whangla dam or St cliar dam. You will have people at all places but you should be able to get far enough away and fires are allowed
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby cokebottle » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:40 am

May I suggest Lake Lyell west of the Blue Mountains near Lithgow, I went there in Aug 2006 with a couple of workmates for a overnight stop, I think it was quite cheap too, I will have to ask one of the guys I went with later today.

When we went there the water level was very low, so low that they had extended the boat ramp down to the water & then the water dropped even more to point that they banned boats altogether.

With the good rain we have had latley, maybe it is up a bit higher?

The campsites seemed ok, there is an ammenties block, a childrens playground.

Here is a link to the website, it says on there to email the lake caretaker for more details http://www.lithgow-tourism.com/lakes.htm

I will post more when it comes to hand.

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Wow

Postby conmanturley » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:31 am

Thanks folks this is a great response so quickly.

I think what we are really after is a wild camp spot in a state forest somewhere so that we can move on if there are many others around.

Don't need amenities as very self sufficient so any ideas along this line would be great.

I love the way people on this site help each other. :+

Thanks
conmanturley
Camping King

Postby Pauly » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:07 pm

If its bush camping your after try Chichester State forrest, not much fishing but a stream for swimming.

Most of the dams are not like caravan parks, you rarely have to camp within 100 mtres of anybody
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby cokebottle » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:55 pm

I just thought of a place that I have been wanting to check out for years & it is almost in my back yard too!

It is called Ingar, it is near Wentworth Falls in the Blue Mountains NSW & it has a lake, the road to it is ok for 2wd in dry weather only.

Link to website with info: http://www.wildwalks.com/camping-in-nsw-parks/near-sydney-campsites/ingar-campground.html

Link to website with more photo's http://www.bluemountainsphotos.com/bmp/areas/ingar.htm

I have lived in the mountains for about 18 yrs & I keep saying I will go to Ingar one day.

According to the Wild Walks website it has 9 campsites & drop toilets, might be worthwile me doing a recon this weekend with my fiancee for a picnic & a swim if it is hot enough 8)

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:06 am

I'll throw in another vote for Mungo. 8-10 march is a bit before easter and school holidays so it should be pretty quiet.

viewtopic.php?t=335
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Re: Where to camp near water but with out other people around?

Postby conmanturley » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:03 am

Hi Folks,

Bit of an update on the serach for the elusive camping spot.

Went up to Ingar in the Blue Mountains to have a bit of a recce but sadly it was not what we were after.

When we arrived there were a couple of different families there having a picnic and then a car load of lads arrived for a swim.

This is just too busy for what we are after.

Also what is the thing with taking a beautiful part of the world and putting up all of those metal post and cables to mark out each individual camping spot? It really spoils the look of what was obviously a pictuesque spot.

The search continues but now running out of time :roll:

Any good beach camping suggestions?
How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
conmanturley
Camping King

Postby cokebottle » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:30 am

conmanturley wrote:Hi Folks,

Bit of an update on the serach for the elusive camping spot.

Went up to Ingar in the Blue Mountains to have a bit of a recce but sadly it was not what we were after.

When we arrived there were a couple of different families there having a picnic and then a car load of lads arrived for a swim.

This is just too busy for what we are after.

Also what is the thing with taking a beautiful part of the world and putting up all of those metal post and cables to mark out each individual camping spot? It really spoils the look of what was obviously a pictuesque spot.

The search continues but now running out of time :roll:

Any good beach camping suggestions?

When did you check out Ingar? my fiancee & I went there the weekend before last (23-02-08) we were not too impressed with it either, same thing as you found - a couple of families camping, a group of guys & 1 girl swimming. the information sign said there was an unmarked track down to a great gorge view over Bedford Creek, but we could not find the "unmarked track", I think it was blocked by campers & I did not really want to walk through their site :?

My fiancee & I were hoping to have a picnic there & maybe a swim, but the only picnic table was taken by the youths & not any nice areas to picnic on :cry:

We ended up going to a creek gorge about 5 mins drive from my fiancee's house, spent about 4 hours relaxing & having a picnic on a sand-bar & swimming in the creek, getting back to nature :?#

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby conmanturley » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:39 pm

I was hoping to upload some of the photos we took of Ingar but can't seem to figure out how :shock:

HELP!!!!!! :oops:
How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
conmanturley
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:09 am

conmanturley wrote:I was hoping to upload some of the photos we took of Ingar but can't seem to figure out how :shock:

HELP!!!!!! :oops:

When you go to post reply, down the bottom below where you type your text, is a box saying:

Upload attachment
If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.

Click on browse, select the picture from your pc u want posted, add a description, and press "Add the file"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby cokebottle » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:25 am

Hmmm..... I don't see that on mine :(

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations