I happened upon this site by accident last night while searching the web for a place to take my family camping. Couldn't believe my luck.
I'm a bit of a camping veteran myself and don't need too many comforts, but my lovely wife and two girls, who have (very) limited camping experience (ie once in sub-zero conditions years ago when my wife was 7mths pregnant - brilliant idea by me!). Since then, the whole camping thing has been kinda blacklisted.
... until now. The kids are 13 & 8 and I finally have agreement to give camping another go. I'm planning to buy a new tent over the next few weeks. Most of my other kit is all still in good nick.
I'm all too aware that the future of camping for the Cozzie family rests delecately on the success or otherwise of our next outing. So its not too hard to work out that the next trip needs to be a bewdy!
I used to have a dozen places I knew well around Sydney, and a number would have worked for this occasion, but we moved to the Gold Coast a few years ago and don't know too many camping places up here.
I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice to help me solve this life-or-death challenge.
Anyway, its a big ask, but I'll list the preferred characteristics of a weekend camping trip. I don't expect too many options that will cover the following wish-list, but my camping future hangs in the balance, so I'll need to choose carefully.
Any combination of a few of the following attributes would be worth a look:
* Up to 3 hours drive from the Gold Coast in any direction (we have a 4x4, so some trackwork is okay, infact probably good).
* Has a flushing toilet (preferably clean) and shower facilities.
* Is at most a short drive to a shop of some kind 'general store' type thing should suffice.
* Has some open ground (because too much bush around the tent encourages spiders to hang in the air at night you know... and they know where you live!).
* Is not like a bustling city of onsite vans and a thousand people camped within feet of each other.
* Has somewhere where a bloke can make a camp fire for his womenfolk to sit around at night (subject or course, to fire restrictions of the season).
Thats about it I spose. I'm basically after something that is clean and moderately well kept. Bonuses would include: minor kids facilities, animals, fossicking, water (creek, dam, whatever), anything else anyone can think of to help a fun weekend.
In all seriousness, any help anybody can provide would be great. I really am keen to introduce my kids and (reintroduce) my wife to the wonderful world of camping.