Does such a place exist?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Does such a place exist?

Postby Cozzie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi all,

I happened upon this site by accident last night while searching the web for a place to take my family camping. Couldn't believe my luck.

I'm a bit of a camping veteran myself and don't need too many comforts, but my lovely wife and two girls, who have (very) limited camping experience (ie once in sub-zero conditions years ago when my wife was 7mths pregnant - brilliant idea by me!). Since then, the whole camping thing has been kinda blacklisted.

... until now. The kids are 13 & 8 and I finally have agreement to give camping another go. I'm planning to buy a new tent over the next few weeks. Most of my other kit is all still in good nick.

I'm all too aware that the future of camping for the Cozzie family rests delecately on the success or otherwise of our next outing. So its not too hard to work out that the next trip needs to be a bewdy!

I used to have a dozen places I knew well around Sydney, and a number would have worked for this occasion, but we moved to the Gold Coast a few years ago and don't know too many camping places up here.

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice to help me solve this life-or-death challenge.

Anyway, its a big ask, but I'll list the preferred characteristics of a weekend camping trip. I don't expect too many options that will cover the following wish-list, but my camping future hangs in the balance, so I'll need to choose carefully.

Any combination of a few of the following attributes would be worth a look:

* Up to 3 hours drive from the Gold Coast in any direction (we have a 4x4, so some trackwork is okay, infact probably good).

* Has a flushing toilet (preferably clean) and shower facilities.

* Is at most a short drive to a shop of some kind 'general store' type thing should suffice.

* Has some open ground (because too much bush around the tent encourages spiders to hang in the air at night you know... and they know where you live!).

* Is not like a bustling city of onsite vans and a thousand people camped within feet of each other.

* Has somewhere where a bloke can make a camp fire for his womenfolk to sit around at night (subject or course, to fire restrictions of the season).

Thats about it I spose. I'm basically after something that is clean and moderately well kept. Bonuses would include: minor kids facilities, animals, fossicking, water (creek, dam, whatever), anything else anyone can think of to help a fun weekend.

In all seriousness, any help anybody can provide would be great. I really am keen to introduce my kids and (reintroduce) my wife to the wonderful world of camping.

Thanks,
Cozzie.
Cozzie

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Hang around here a while and the fellow cane toads will have hundreds of suggestions for you. Welcome to the Forum :lol:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:04 pm

What weekend were you planning on going ?,some others have posted similar criteria especially the no crowd bit,it is coming up to Easter and school hols so people will be everywhere.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby freerocketman1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:19 pm

cozzie look through previous post in this section for camping around beaudesert, there is a couple of spots like flanagans reserve. :)
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby ChallengeLee » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:20 pm

Cozzie,

I couldn't recomend more highly than Bigriggen, l have given you the link so you can check it out for yourself, it meets all your criteria and is just the most fantastic place for families and the owners are truly wonderful and most helpful.

http://bigriggen.com.au/

Lee
ChallengeLee
Camping Veteran

Postby Barby-Q » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:41 am

Yes , I'll have to agree with ChallengeLee , Bigriggen. Give it a go one weekend .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby Cozzie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:05 pm

Thanks for this everyone.

I have a few things going on over the next couple of weekends & with Easter looming, I probably won't get an opportunity to head out til April, but what a great time of the year!

Thanks again for the comments here. I'll continue to watch the post incase anything else turns up as well as checking out previous posts in the forum.

I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks again,
Cozzie.
Cozzie

Re: Does such a place exist?

Postby Cozzie » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:11 pm

G'day people,

This post is a thankyou for the good advice in response to my plea. Finally got to Bigriggen a couple of weeks ago. Took the 3 girls (wife & 2 kids) and a great time was had by all.

We'll definitely be heading back & looking for other similar places as well (if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear em). Looks like the Cozzie family camping adventures have only just begun.

Sincerely, thanks again. This was a fantastic family weekend & we can't wait to get back to the bush. You've really helped a family (re)discover all the fun of camping.

Cozzie.
Cozzie

Postby Barby-Q » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:20 am

Glad to here that your family enjoyed it .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:02 pm

That's great that you had a good time Cozzie and the family enjoyed it.

Cheers...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GregS » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:26 am

Hi Cozzie

Yes such a place exists. I own it.

We are in the Tweed Valley less than 2 hours from Brisbane. Although we advertise for groups and the toilets and clean, non smelly composters not flushing there are hot showers and plenty of room for the kids.

Check it out

http://www.takeabreak.com.au/Uki/FarNor ... arning.htm

or give me a call. 0266797395.

GregS
GregS
Boy Scout

Return to Camping Tips and Locations