VIC - Camping this long weekend

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

VIC - Camping this long weekend

Postby OzeBoy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:28 pm

This is probably a long shot but I'll give it a go.

A friend and I are wanting to camp this long weekend from Friday to Monday. Checked out Upper Big River SF on the weekend and it was crap, and very run down. Then checked out Cathedral Ranage SP but that's fully booked. So we are still looking for somewhere to camp. Any recommendations? I'm still waiting for my Camps 4 Mega edition with CampSnaps to arrive in the mail. We're looking for somewhere within 3 hours (but not fussy) from Melbourne, preferably near a river/water. Just don't wanna travel to a site we dont know and it turns out to be crap (like what happened when we went to Upper Big River). Any recommendations appreciated :grin:
OzeBoy
Camping King

Re: VIC - Camping this long weekend

Postby embi » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:38 pm

We are going to Ditchfield Camping site at Mt Cole.....

Its not near water but its a nice little spot.
embi
Camping King

Postby mac15 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:53 pm

Here's a few to check out - we haven't been there (they're on our "to go to" list) but i've heard they are OK so I can't comment on what they are like. There may be more info on them on the ParksVic website:

Toombullup Ranges (Jones Camping area 18km south Tatong near Hollands Creek; Stringybark Creek Camping Reserve 28km south Tatong near Stringybark Creek; Toombullup East School Site Camping Area 30km south Tatong)
Strathbogie Ranges (25kms north-west Mansfield) (James Camping Reserve)
Rubicon State Forest (150km north-east Melbourne – between Taggerty & Thornton)

We're off to Baringhup about 15kms from Maldon but we're staying in a caravan park (called Loddon House Holiday park). The unpowered sites are right on the Loddon River....

Hope this gives you a few more ideas....
When's my next holiday??
mac15
Camping King

Postby OzeBoy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks heaps guys. We've added them to our list to suss out. If we don't check them out this time we definitely will in the very near future. So thanks for sharing. :cheers

We haven't made a decision yet but are leaning towards camping somewhere in the Grampians NP (lots of sites to choose from). I'd love to see MacKenzie falls and the balconies. No idea where to camp but will speak to some people at Brambuk Info. I've heard there's great camping at the Grampians.

Anyone wanna share their experiences of camping here? Is it busy? any preferred camp spots?
OzeBoy
Camping King

Postby mac15 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:01 pm

We've been to the Grampians twice & stayed at Plantation campground both times over Easter and it was very busy (no creek/river etc nearby either). Don't know what any others are like.
When's my next holiday??
mac15
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations