Qld urged to bring in parks entrance fee

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Qld urged to bring in parks entrance fee

Postby will_deness » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:39 am

http://news.theage.com.au/qld-urged-to- ... -1xf2.html
I wouldn't mind so much if the upkeep on a lot of parks was increased dramatically
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Qld urged to bring in parks entrance fee

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:56 am

will_deness wrote:http://news.theage.com.au/qld-urged-to-bring-in-parks-entrance-fee/20080306-1xf2.html
I wouldn't mind so much if the upkeep on a lot of parks was increased dramatically

Heard this on the news yesterday and personally think it is outrageous. NPs and state parks belong to the taxpayer, why should they be charged to use them.

I personally don't use them because of my canine family but thosewho do should be extremely unhappy about the possibility.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:02 am

In NSW I used to pay $190.00 for my annual all parks pass. That was just for access to all parks in the State and simply to drive into them. On top of that were camping fees.

Kosciusko alone is $16.00 a day in summer and $27.00 a day in winter. Winter being the June long weekend to the October long weekend.

This has been discussed in Queensland for many years now and it is just a matter of time before it's introduced.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:13 am

Derek wrote:
This has been discussed in Queensland for many years now and it is just a matter of time before it's introduced.

Still think it is wrong Derek....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby freerocketman1 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:08 am

what i dont like about this is the fact that little if anything is ever done with the money.
its just another way of getting people to go back into the resorts. shame,shame,shame.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Scolers » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:12 am

Look at it this way ... there are a lot of ppl funding the NP's who don't go (thru their taxes) ... so even if we are charged to go there it's thanks to the multitude of others who don't go there who subsidise it for us. I also think it will sort out the serious from not-so-serious and might even help keep the place clean. We cleaned up Kinccuna NP last weekend for the Clean Up Day ... what some ppl do is just downright disgusting ... hopefully introducing fees might help eliminate that.

:-bang

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:36 am

Scolers wrote:Look at it this way ... there are a lot of ppl funding the NP's who don't go (thru their taxes) ... so even if we are charged to go there it's thanks to the multitude of others who don't go there who subsidise it for us. I also think it will sort out the serious from not-so-serious and might even help keep the place clean. We cleaned up Kinccuna NP last weekend for the Clean Up Day ... what some ppl do is just downright disgusting ... hopefully introducing fees might help eliminate that.

:-bang

Scol.

I think you are expecting too much Scol... clean up the NPs...not in my lifetime!!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby AussieSunset » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:08 am

gypsylady wrote:
Derek wrote:

Still think it is wrong Derek....

I agree GL. I have never paid to get into a NP in my life. It's owned by all Australians so why should we have to pay more just to get in then ontop of fees to camp with primitive facsilaties. I agree with the camp fees but not the entrance fees. Thats is overstepping the mark to me.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:01 am

From observation, down here at least. It would seem most of the funding they (Nat Parks) get, goes towards things that are not actually in/around any given park. Most areas have a NPWS office, thats a bit like a tourism information center I suppose. They have to be bought and staffed.

Then there's the rangers. Don't know what exactly they do (except collect fee's and fine people) but they need a flash company car and a salary. Actually thats a bit unfair, I did see a NP employee cleaning the toilets at mungo once, don't think he was a ranger though.

BTW, it looks as though in NSW at least, the NPWS no longer "exists". There's now a DECC (department of environment and climate change :roll: ). They prolly fall under them now.

Have a look at their job vacancies list http://jobs.nsw.gov.au/JobList.asp?AgencyId=63 . I don't see any for parks maintenance personnel or rubbish picker-upper.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/conta ... lparks.htm here's a list of all the offices. THERE'S ALOT!!!! :shock:

EDIT: I'm not finished (as you may have gathered by now I hate NPWS and their associated organisations ;) )
the article wrote:"These areas are under threat from a lack of resources, infrastructure and capacity to manage threats such as the increasing stresses on natural systems posed by climate change," the report said.

WHAT THE? How is ripping off the people who actually use the parks, going to in any way combat climate change or its effect on any given park? They planning on buying tonnes of water and pumping it into drought affected parks? :?

the article wrote:It found conservation of Queensland's parks was being left to the taxpayer, with little contribution from the parks' 16 million visitors a year.

Conservation, at least with NSW Parks and Wildfire service, means closing the gates and not allowing anyone in - and fining them if they do go in. Can't see how that costs them money :roll:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:15 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:From observation, down here at least. It would seem most of the funding they (Nat Parks) get, goes towards things that are not actually in/around any given park. Most areas have a NPWS office, thats a bit like a tourism information center I suppose. They have to be bought and staffed.

Then there's the rangers. Don't know what exactly they do (except collect fee's and fine people) but they need a flash company car and a salary. Actually thats a bit unfair, I did see a NP employee cleaning the toilets at mungo once, don't think he was a ranger though.

Have a look at their job vacancies list http://jobs.nsw.gov.au/JobList.asp?AgencyId=63 . I don't see any for parks maintenance personnel or rubbish picker-upper.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/conta ... lparks.htm here's a list of all the offices. THERE'S ALOT!!!! :shock:

You are spot on Ozzy, I agree with everything you say though I can't comment on what happens in NSW.

The only thing I see go up in NPs is BOLLARDS (dirty word) and who needs them???
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:45 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:From observation, down here at least. It would seem most of the funding they (Nat Parks) get, goes towards things that are not actually in/around any given park. Most areas have a NPWS office, thats a bit like a tourism information center I suppose. They have to be bought and staffed.

I disagree! Australian national parks are managed fairly well environmentally, it's the facilities that could be improved. Saying that If they improve the facilities then their job becomes harder, then they would definatly have to charge fees or go against their core responsibility and let the parks pristine quality diminish.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:55 am

Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:57 am

I am defitiely with you on this one Ozzy....

Vote 1 for Ozzy for PM and save our NPs
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:00 pm

will_deness wrote:Qld rejects introducing fee's http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 44,00.html

Well not this week anyhow!!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:28 pm

will_deness wrote:I disagree! Australian national parks are managed fairly well environmentally...

How? What do they do? Pick weeds? Shoot ferals?
I've just spent a good half hour reading through pages on their site. So far I've found they lay fox bait, and "manage weeds" - no mention of how. There's a whole lot of waffling on - them claiming that they protect the environment - but the few if any details about what exactly they DO to protect the environment is obscure at best.

Here's where I started reading http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/natur ... vation.htm . The block of text on that page alone is enough to make me want to slap them. What a waste of words.

will_deness wrote:it's the facilities that could be improved. Saying that If they improve the facilities then their job becomes harder, then they would definatly have to charge fees or go against their core responsibility and let the parks pristine quality diminish.

Agree and disagree. If I'm paying ~ $15 to get into a par and then however many more dollars a night to stay, I want clean toilets and garbage facilities at the very least. In fact, most caravan parks would be cost similar or even less than that for a tent site, and you get toilets, showers, BBQ's, a Kiosk etc.

But here's where I disagree. I DON'T want all that in a National Park. How is it conservation by clearing out areas for campgrounds, plumbing them, putting up BBQ's, fences, etc etc :? Also, once you start adding facilities you make it more appealing to people who otherwise would not have stayed there overnight. So it gets busier, making it less tranquil, damaging the bush more from the increased traffic, animals get scared away, and so on.

National parks, to me, should be JUST BUSH and dirt tracks. Bins at the entrance/exit would be great cause it means you don't need to drive all the way home with it in the car. But thats it.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations