Camping in the snow - probly Mt Skene

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping in the snow - probly Mt Skene

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:37 am

Any one been? Feel free to throw your 2c worth here.

I'm thinking -5 sleeping bag, swag on roof racks with tarp over top. BYO firewood caue everything else will be wet, flannies, thermals, and lots of warm fluids :cheers

But where's a good camping spot a bit out of the way? 2wd accessible would be good but not crucial. Been reading some other threads on another forum and the peak seems to get a bit crowded so would rather have an alternative spot in mind in case we don't like it.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Re: Camping in the snow - probly Mt Skene

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:32 am

Hey Ozzy

You might need my snow chains http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=014

:*** :*** :***
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:37 am

Saw them, and they'd fit my tires too :lol:

But I reckon chains are over rated. Not going off any experience with them, I just think I'd want to drop my tyre pressures and stay on top of the snow drift if I can, rather than dig into it. Sorta a similar principal to sand driving.
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:55 am

They stop you on the roads and won't let you in the parks without chains.

Have you ever driven on snow before? Much softer than sand and you sink right through it.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:06 pm

DECC Website wrote:Snow chains

It is compulsory to carry properly-fitting snow chains if you are driving a two-wheel-drive vehicle from the June to October long weekends on the following roads:

* Kosciuszko Road from the park boundary at Thredbo River
* the Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
* the Island Bend/Guthega Road for its full length

from here

They wont be stopping me 8)
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby will_deness » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:12 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:They wont be stopping me 8)

Literally!!
you wont be stopping yourself. with deflated tyres, if you stay on top of the snow is really hard to stop or steer.your just turning you car into a set of ski's
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:32 pm

will_deness wrote:

Literally!!
you wont be stopping yourself. with deflated tyres, if you stay on top of the snow is really hard to stop or steer.your just turning you car into a set of ski's

Steering with deflated tires is hard, yes. But steering when your wheels are a foot under snow would also be hard. Not too mention the extra strain on the vehicle/engine as it has to 'plow' through it.

With lower pressures, your tire has a larger contact patch, or foot print with the surface its riding on. So braking is better than with high pressures as there's more rubber down at any given time.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:50 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:
will_deness wrote:

Literally!!

Steering with deflated tires is hard, yes. But steering when your wheels are a foot under snow would also be hard. Not too mention the extra strain on the vehicle/engine as it has to 'plow' through it.

With lower pressures, your tire has a larger contact patch, or foot print with the surface its riding on. So braking is better than with high pressures as there's more rubber down at any given time.

Don't make any difference on snow having low pressure tyres.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:55 pm

Didn't think it would much with braking but it will help stop me digging down and getting bogged.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:00 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:Didn't think it would much with braking but it will help stop me digging down and getting bogged.

No it won't. :?#
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby will_deness » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Honestly ozz save yourself a pain, hire or buy a set of chains. They are good for mud too.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:16 pm

will_deness wrote:they are good for mud too.

I can't believe I'm reading this :shock: So much for treading lightly.

Do you have a 4wd? I can't comment on snow driving cause I haven't done it, YET. But this isn't the first place I turned to for advice (oddly enough it started out as where to camp but anyway :roll: ) and the unanimous opinion is that lower tire pressures are the go. Perhaps we're on different wavelengths though, I'm not talking about driving on tar roads with a sheet of ice/snow.

I'm talking about driving in stuff like this

And no he's not kneeling down, thats how deep the snow drift is ;)

If he was using chains and got into a bit of a trouble the chains would just help him dig to china.

Anyway. In my experience lower pressures are better for everything offroad. Mud, sand, rocks you name it. And I'm quite confident I'll find the same in snow.

NOW BACK TO THE TOPIC, WHERE TO CAMP!! :twisted: So far the only people who've commented are QLD'ers ::() Get much snow up there?
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby will_deness » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:41 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:I can't believe I'm reading this :shock: So much for treading lightly.

Do you have a 4wd?

yes I do and I have been bogged in mud.Which I might add chains are less damaging than digging. Put the chains on and just basically drive out.
I can't comment on snow driving cause I haven't done it, YET.

I have!
So far the only people who've commented are QLD'ers Get much snow up there?

I'm offering advice, take it or leave it! But if your making decisions based on my location, Well what can I say other than best of luck.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:52 pm

will_deness wrote:I'm offering advice, take it or leave it! But if your making decisions based on my location, Well what can I say other than best of luck.

I'm making decisions based on my experiences combined with the advice of others, and when there's too sets of advice conflicting I'll take the majority and more experienced advice.

I mentioned location cause the actual topic of this thread is Mt Skene, and camping in the snow (bit far from QLD). Not driving in it I've got that covered ;) . If you've been to Mt Skene or some place around there then great, I'd love to hear your feed back. As far as chain's though we'll have to agree to disagree :booty :mrgreen:
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Jok » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:05 pm

Have you driven Mt Skene in winter before? The road usually gets closed because of snow.
Chains are an advantage, but as Mt Skene is not a resort, (and road closed), I'm pretty sure they are not required. At all resorts they are a legal requirement, 4x4 or not.
Most of the road will have deep ruts, one, maybe two sets at most(in spots), and are very difficult to get out of, most likely get bogged anyway.
Have driven it in 2wd(in a 4by), and have gotten nowhere on it years ago, with chains, a-frames to joins vehicles and more chains-2 vehicles joined by a-frame with diamond pattern chains on both, one also having ice breakers on other axle- got about a metre further than normal.
There are snow driving techniques and tips which I won't rattle on about.
There are spots for camping along the road, just depends whether they are under snow, and if you can get to them. The 'summit' area is quite large-few acres.

Personally I wouldn't sleep on a roofrack, too much airflow around your body. I would recommend at least -10 bag(I have -15 and have been chilly), a closed cell sleeping mat and a space blanket, all in a good quality tent, or even an igloo. They are relatively easy to make, but time consuming and hard work(if that makes sense).
Don't take anything denim at all, this Dagnabbit's is deadly. Use layers of clothing, as you said, thermals, flannels, jumper, coat etc. Snow seal can be used on most boots to make them more waterproof-even dubbin helps, pure wool socks can be good, but can get a bit too warm. Or can buy all the good gear, goretex etc
Sorry for the long post,
give me a yell if you want anymore info,
and good luck,
Jok
Jok
Camping King

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations