Educate Me :)

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Educate Me :)

Postby okletsgocamping » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi everyone

I need some help - I haven't been camping in YEARS - I'm a real 5 star hotel gal :oops:

Now that the kids are not babies anymore (and hubby has, over the years, pretty much bought everything we'll every need for camping in the hope that one day we'll actually go camping :| ) ... we need to find a GREAT place to go in July holidays.

My only requests ;) is for absolutely CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN amenities and to go somewhere where there is a bit of space between campers....

It's not too much to ask is it lol?

Anyhow, because of my "needs", lol, I've been given the task of actually finding somewhere - so here's hoping somebody has some suitable recommendations.

We're in Brissy and will go either North or South. I did have a look in the recommendations threads but there isn't too many recent posts. Thanks in Advance :bunny
okletsgocamping

Re: Educate Me :)

Postby Activity_Dept » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:00 pm

Hey welcome to the site; 'Okletsgocamping...

Did you say clean, clean, clean himm, sounds a bit like my wife :lol: ...

This may count many of the bush places out, but that is generally where you get the extra lot size. Himm Troy any comments.

:hello:
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby snake_dr » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:17 pm

welcome!!

not sure where you want to head, but the wife, bub, and I went to Bribie Island Caravan park on the weekend, and it really wasnt camping.

Ameneties were awesome, the people that ran the park were friendly as were the occupants. It would be a nice close get away to test the waters of your new camping life!

Thats the first time we have actually stayed in a caravan park in all our time camping and we were impressed.

http://www.bribieislandcaravanpark.com.au/

Hope that helps :-)
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby freerocketman1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:30 pm

:hello: & welcome to the site, if you have a 4wd id sugest flinders beach on straddie. if no 4wd maybe the caravan park at amity. if thats not wht your looking for try beaudesert,there is some nice places to camp although alot with only toilits no showers.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby will_deness » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:43 pm

Welcome to the forum okletsgocamping! Caravan parks are a good way to ease reluctant family members into camping, Things like washing machines and kiosks can usually overcome most little emergencies, that would otherwise put the family member into a long term anti-camper. As you might have noticed in other threads, I am taking some other families camping at Burleigh Heads CP over the easter break, we have done the recce and the place is spotless, another reason we chose there was the fact if the weather is awful they can go to the shops,movies or whatever to stop them from getting bored. the first camping expedition is crucial to try to get it right, of course it is in the lap of the gods. ;)
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:04 am

Welcome okletsgocamping! :grin:

A good spot which I have mentioned a few times is Lake Cressbrook, NE of Toowoomba. Amentities are very clean, also has a large camp kitchen, and has a number of sites terraced on the side of a hill with good views of the dam. There is a bit of space between sites. It will be an alternative to the Caravan Park.

Or you can come with us forum folk to Broumba Deer Park on the ANZAC long weekend. :armsup
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:31 am

:hello: and welcome.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby CCC » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:53 am

welcome to the forum :armsup

hope the info help :grin:
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby JM1375 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi and Welcome,

I completely understand - I am a bit of a "non-camping" camper myself.

For a "starter trip" I would definitely recommend a caravan park - they do provide the comforts of home while easing you into camping.

My first trip was to Ballina Headlands Leisure Park - it wasn't during school holidays, so they spread what campers they had out and we ended up setting up on the equivalent of two sites.... very spacious....

The park managers/owners were fantastic, and came past to check on us frequently, particularly the first night when we wrestled to get the tent up!

Anyway, there are lots of fantastic places both north and south of Brissy - so best of luck, I hope you grow to like camping.

Cheers,
Jodie
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby Al&Sharon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:53 pm

hi okletsgocamping the thing Id do is book into http://www.northstar.com.au/home.htm great for the kids and adults ask for an ensuite block you then have your own toilet and shower right next to your tent cost around an extra $14 a night then break out from there you cant go wrong with big 4 camping grounds they are caravan parks though, my wifes loves em but the true camping is bush or beach for me good luck. Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby will_deness » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:49 pm

Al&Sharon wrote:hi okletsgocamping the thing Id do is book into http://www.northstar.com.au/home.htm great for the kids and adults ask for an ensuite block you then have your own toilet and shower right next to your tent cost around an extra $14 a night then break out from there you cant go wrong with big 4 camping grounds they are caravan parks though, my wifes loves em but the true camping is bush or beach for me good luck. Alan

And if you have a van they will even reverse it in to it's site for you if you want :idea:
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Pauly » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:20 am

A big Question/s to ask is what is it about camping your scared of, Is it the lack of/poor toilet shower facilities or just the whole sleeping under material thing.

If you get a bad first attemp lets say it rains and is windy your pretty much buggered, if you get a couple of cracks at nice weather, reasonable amenities and nice people around then you may just get our bug. In July most places shouldnt be over booked so there should be some space. Think about Troys offer of going with others experienced at camping.

Ps you havent lived until you spend 3 days in the bush without a toilet or shower. The morning Sunrises and even Sunsets plus the quietness of the fire open your heart to the bush
Pauly
Post Machine!

Return to Camping Tips and Locations