Oodnadatta & Birdsville Tracks in August

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Oodnadatta & Birdsville Tracks in August

Postby Malcur » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:02 am

Hi guys,

We are planning a trip to central Australia in August. Current plans are to head to Camerons Corner, then on to Innaminka, then off to Birdsville via Cordillo Downs. From there down to Marree, then on the Oodnadatta track to Oodnadatta. Go through the Painted Desert to Coober Pedy, then down to Flinders Ranges. A few days there and then its off to Broken Hill and home. Total time away 4 weeks.

I have a Prado towing a CT and we are going with my sister & bro-in-law who are driving an 80 series & towing an off-road caravan. No kids or pets to worry about.

I have read a few of the posts on Oodnadatta track and am looking forward to exploring that part of Australia. Has anyone who has been to these areas got any thoughts, ideas on road conditions, things to see etc.? Any comments on decent caravan parks would also be helpful. The girls are hoping for a good shower every couple of days!! ;)

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Re: Oodnadatta & Birdsville Tracks in August

Postby neil_cricket » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:39 am

Not sure how far you're going down Oodnadatta track, but a very nice little camping sport is Coward Springs.

Here's the link to the site:

http://www.cowardsprings.com.au/index.php

Track condition will depend on weather, when it was last graded etc, but when we did it I saw a commodore driving down it :roll: ,
neil_cricket
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:47 am

There is a CP at the rear of the Pink Roadhouse at Oodnadatta. A campground also at the Painted Desert but am not sure what amentiies are there.

In fact there are many places that will have a place to shower. Cameron Corner has showers, pay a dollar to the publician.

Have attached some pics for you to see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GypsyLady on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Malcur » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Thank you.

A campground also at the Painted Desert but am not sure what amentiies are there

Do you know the location of this campground. The Painted Desert seems to cover quite a large area. I have heard that the sunrises in this area are spectacular, so a night there may be a requirement.

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:57 pm

Malcur wrote:Thank you.

A campground also at the Painted Desert but am not sure what amentiies are there

Do you know the location of this campground. The Painted Desert seems to cover quite a large area. I have heard that the sunrises in this area are spectacular, so a night there may be a requirement.

Mal

Mal the name of the private property where the Painted Desert is located is Arckringa Hills and it is signposted from the main road. The Painted Desert is is about 30 or so klms off the highway and the campground is also signed.

If all else fails go to the homestead and they will point you in the right direction. Don't look for commercially looking signs though, they are very basic unless it has changed since I was there.

We spent hours there but you are right a stay in the campground will certainly do it justice. You can also do a walk through as well.

The owners are not obligated to open this fabulous area but do so in order for the public to share the experience. There was no change to visit but am not sure if there is any fee to camp, I imagine there would be.

I met one of the son's whilst I was there and he was recovering with a broken leg after being thrown from a horse and more more delightful young man you would not meet.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:02 pm

gypsylady wrote:The owners are not obligated to open this fabulous area but do so in order for the public to share the experience. There was no change to visit but am not sure if there is any fee to camp, I imagine there would be.

That would be the perfect oppurtunity to make some sort of donation if there was no fee.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:04 pm

There is a good caravan park at Tibooburra, showers are available at Innaminka at a facility at the trading post (straight river water but hot at least). Flinders ranges has a selection of caravan parks - Arkaroola, Wilpena Pound, Arkaba etc.

Not sure about the rest of your trip. Haven't been that way but intend to do so later this year on our way to Perth for daughter's wedding.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:06 pm

will_deness wrote:
That would be the perfect oppurtunity to make some sort of donation if there was no fee.

The best thing you could do would be to not leave any mess/rubbish and not damage the environment in any way.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:12 pm

gypsylady wrote:
will_deness wrote:

The best thing you could do would be to not leave any mess/rubbish and not damage the environment in any way.

Leaving things as found goes without saying, but owners of special places who respect the land and also respects the fact that everyone should have a right to see these places, deserve special praise in my opinion.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:52 pm

will_deness wrote:
Leaving things as found goes without saying, but owners of special places who respect the land and also respects the fact that everyone should have a right to see these places, deserve special praise in my opinion.

ABSOLUTELY, I agree totally BUT there are some people who do not live by this creed and they are always the ones who stuff it up for those who 'do the right thing'.....

Where places like this exist I always 'do' a bit extra in the hope that it compensates for those who do not.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby jollyroger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:42 pm

I've done all those tracks many times around July August. It's the best time of year tempreture wise. But be careful as I did get bogged on the oodnadatta track 21km from oodna. It was mid august 2 years ago. Make sure you have snatch straps and or a winch. I needed to be winched out. It was my stupid fault. Make sure you walk every creek with water in it (if it's not flowing). If there is water go straight through the middle where you would normally travel road wise. The thing that amazed me was Pink's Roadhouse knew I had been bogged and where and when. They said I dragged my heels getting there. The bush telegraph is amazing. It does rain heavily up there at that time of year.

There are lots of great old railway sidings ruins along the old Ghan track. One in particular grabbed my intrest. The Algebuckina Bridge over the Algebuckina River. Folklore goes that the bridge was originally made and shipped out for the town of Murray Bridge but when they got it there it was too short. So they thought they had better use it somehow. So they divirted the Ghan Line over the Algebuckina River to use the bridge - BUT the bridge was too narrow for the trains. The first train that went over the bridge took chunks out of the spans with it's steps to the carriages on each end of the bridge. Now this story has never been proven or outrightly denied either.
But it's a great yarn. There is an old car wreck right near the bridge - it apparently fell off a train in the 40's.

Make sure you stop at Pink's Roadhouse and chat to Adam Plate (plarter)and his wife. We staged a concert up there a few years ago with Marc Seymor for all the locals - they were the perfect hosts.

It is really beautiful country and in my backyard! ::)
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Malcur » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:43 pm

Many thanks everyone for some great responses. It has certainly whetted my appetite for the trip.

Mal :+
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:35 am

The story I heard about the old car and the bridge was that it was in flood and a guy and his dog were driving home one night and decided to try the railway bridge as it was higher than the road.

It goes on to say that the car ended up at the bottom of the river (can't remember why), the driver survived and the dog was never seen again.

I also believe it is one of the longest spans of railway bridge in Aust and the increase in use during the war years was unbelievable. There is a plaque on the approach (to the left in the pic) to the bridge which gives all the details.

The car mentioned is on the lower right of the pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby jollyroger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:53 pm

My Paaaartners Uncle was the head of the Highways up there for over thirty years based in Coober Pedy. His area was from Port Augusta north to the NT border. Including all the tracks within SA. He took us out there many times on and off those roads. The story about the bridge being Murray Bridge is a tall tale, but I have yet to see different.

There was another car that was up near the bridge span. It was an old black 40's car. I have a photo of it somewhere back in 87 or 88.
There is still an old bloke that lives along the river banks that fossic's for gold. Apparently he has found small traces over the years. Enough to feed himself and keep him busy. When we were there last in 2005 the Police were there paying him a visit to check on his welfare.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby mac15 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:41 pm

Mal,

A few things to add to your list to consider:

The Bore Track from Camerons Corner to Innamincka is a great track & very scenic - just not sure how an off-road van would handle it (there's a few dry creek crossings and sandy stretches). We had no problem with our CT though.

In Birdsville, the Museum is a must. A fascinating place & full of the good old gear. And of course, no need to mention the pub - another iconic place to visit.

Haven't done the Birdsville Track but have heard that Mungerannie is a must stop over place - great pool. Also heard that Claytons Springs (or something like that) is also a nice stopover.

I will second the recommendation for Coward Springs on the Oodnadatta Track - a literal oasis & another opportunity to soak in an artesian pool.

In Coober Pedy - we stayed at Stuarts Caravan Park I think it was called. They ran a tour through the town visiting some underground mines/homes/church etc and out to the the Breakaways and a quick trip past the golf course.

I'm working on our trip in September this year to the Flinders and have discovered bush camp type places with showers availabe (those donkey type water heaters) at Arkapena and Farina. I'm planning on staying there to keep away from the actual caravan parks. But, we've stayed at Arkaroola, Wilpena Pound and Rawnsley Park in the past and can recommend them all - good facilities.

Happy researching!
mac 8)
When's my next holiday??
mac15
Camping King

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations