Self Inflating 4WD Sleeping Mats

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Self Inflating 4WD Sleeping Mats

Postby amanda » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:38 am

Now before I even start, this is going to sound like a dumb question so please bear with me. We're heading off for the weekend tomorrow, and due to one car having to take extra bodies, my car has ended up having to take extra gear. One of the items is a friends queen size self inflating 4WD sleeping mat. Rolled up the thing takes up about a quarter of my station wagon! My question is - if I unroll it and lay it flat on the bottom of the station wagon, uninflated, and then packed all the other gear on top of it, would I be damaging it in any way? My theory is that the combined weight of the couple that sleep on it is probably about 180kg, so the gear sitting on it wouldn't be terribly much more I'm thinking.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Self Inflating 4WD Sleeping Mats

Postby will_deness » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:57 am

I don't want to say for sure and your friends mattress gets damaged, but the foam in our mattress doesn't suffer at all from memory from when it's rolled up and the straps are tightly pressed into it. 2 minutes after its unrolled we can't see where the straps had been. Ours is a coleman double self inflating.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:05 am

I have packed on top of mine,just put a good thick blanket over it and pack flat bottom objects not sharps.I usually put things like the esky, kitchen box etc.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby amanda » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:11 am

Great, thanks for that, I just wanted to make sure it was OK to do - I'd hate to wreck someone else's gear. I'll put the thick doona over it and as you said pack all the flat things on top.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:16 pm

It will be fine Amanda, just make sure you leave the bungs out.

Should you have any problems with it at the other end the best way to reset the memory of the foam in it is to lay it out flat in the sun with the bungs out.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby keznpaul » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:12 pm

Our bro just got us one of these for my birthday...
Just a note on the label... "leave bungs out until you lay on it"... I guess this would be the same when you pack on top of it? make sure the bungs are in???
*** We're in no hurry - our motto for when we finally get to go around Australia ***
keznpaul
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:39 pm

keznpaul wrote:Our bro just got us one of these for my birthday...
Just a note on the label... "leave bungs out until you lay on it"... I guess this would be the same when you pack on top of it? make sure the bungs are in???

WHY would you need to leave the bungs out until you lay on it??

Laying on it (bungs out) would only expel the air, which is why I mentioned it. With the bungs out there would be no added pressure on the mattress and it would sit flatter with no resistance.

I have friends who use one on their bed in the CT and when they pack up they open the bungs and as they pack up the mattress goes down giving them more room for packing.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby keznpaul » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Not disputing GL... I was just reading the label - and sharing!
*** We're in no hurry - our motto for when we finally get to go around Australia ***
keznpaul
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:58 am

keznpaul wrote:I was just reading the label - and sharing!

Makes you wonder about these instructions sometimes and shake your head in wonder....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Teabag » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:01 am

This is only my opinion and is different to what's been posted. I wouldn't lay it out a pack gear on top, even with a doona protecting. Basically it is an Air Bed with foam inside and any one little hole caused by rubbing, pinching etc will make the matress almost useless. I personally wouldn't risk it.....IMHO
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:40 am

Teabag, the self inflating mattresses' are very different to the standard air mattress and yes I agree totally with what you say about a standard air mattress.

I have 3 self inflating mattresses', one cheapie from Aldi and 2 Oztrail and they are all very hardy.

In saying that though I would not be packing anything on top of it that I thought would damage it but I would apply that same principal when packing anything.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Teabag » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:52 am

gypsylady wrote:Teabag, the self inflating mattresses' are very different to the standard air mattress and yes I agree totally with what you say about a standard air mattress.

I have 3 self inflating mattresses', one cheapie from Aldi and 2 Oztrail and they are all very hardy.

In saying that though I would not be packing anything on top of it that I thought would damage it but I would apply that same principal when packing anything.

Yes, I know. I have two Oztrail self inflating mattress which are great though they are pretty much an air matress with foam inside hence they can still be a little fragile wrt getting holes in the lining. As I said, I wouldn't pack anything ontop, I guess each to his own.......
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:45 pm

Yep, that's true and just as well too, hey?? It would be sad sorry place otherwise:-))
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:28 am

Just to let you all know the mattress got there and back with no damage. I placed a doona on top of it, then placed the flat tables over that, and then the rest of the gear, so there seemed to be plenty of protection with no chance of anything being able to "jab" into it.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:46 am

Good to hear Amanda, glad it all went well.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations