Sandflies Rainbow Beach in August/September

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Sandflies Rainbow Beach in August/September

Postby rosro » Thu May 08, 2008 1:45 pm

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and have just spent hours reading everyone's tips and favourite places. We are from Victoria and travel with a camper trailer up north regularly. Last big trip was to Rainbow Beach in November, but we (especially our 12 month old son) were eaten alive by sandflies, despite our best efforts to deter them.

We're thinking of another trip this winter, and I suspect the sandflies won't be so bad - can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
rosro

Re: Sandflies Rainbow Beach in August/September

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 08, 2008 6:44 pm

rosro wrote:Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and have just spent hours reading everyone's tips and favourite places. We are from Victoria and travel with a camper trailer up north regularly. Last big trip was to Rainbow Beach in November, but we (especially our 12 month old son) were eaten alive by sandflies, despite our best efforts to deter them.

We're thinking of another trip this winter, and I suspect the sandflies won't be so bad - can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

That has been my experience rosro but in saying that I would still have the Rid on hand.

WELCOME to the forum also.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby J`CRUISER » Mon May 12, 2008 9:59 am

should be better. keep the bushmans at hand its the only one that i have used that keeps the little buggers away.
J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Mon May 12, 2008 10:42 am

Isn't that strange, I have not had any success with Bushman's and yet many others have.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby wragee » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Hi,
While bushmans is great I found that my son and I were both allergic to the neem oil in it. I found that there isn't much you can do with the snadflies if they love you one way or another they will get you. I have found though at night I give my kids some antihistermine. Either liquid of tables if old enough. You can get from the Chemist and let them know why. My Middle daughter was allergic to sandflies and this was the only way that we could help her or not take her camping at all and she hated that idea. Well hope that can help.
Ca't get enough camping.
wragee
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations