Camping in Queensland - Wish list

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: Camping in Queensland - Wish list

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 14, 2008 8:18 am

mdewbery wrote:
With school holidays starting in mid december would I be best off doing it in reverse order i.e. Agnes first then Fraser Island etc? Or are the other Sunshine Coast spots likely to be just as full come mid December?

All the coastal areas will be busy and fairly well booked come school summer holidays but if you get in early you should be ok. However it will still be pretty busy.

I used to camp up at Inskip every Xmas and by the week before the school holidays started all the good spots would be taken. Many people would go up and set up camp (return to work) just so they could get the spot they wanted.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Cheiffy » Sat May 17, 2008 12:32 am

mdewbery wrote:Also is it possible to do Fraser Island without a 4wd - i.e. getting away with hiring a 4wd a day here or there and walking to the camp sites?

You will need a 4wd to access the island as there is no bitument on the island itself. You can either hire a 4wd in Hervey bay or Rainbow Beach (Hervey Bay if coming from Agnes Waters) and catch the barge over. There are quite a number of 4wd hire companies up there, a quick search on the net will reveal some i would imagine. The island itself is quite large and to see all the sights, you will need some form of transport.

Hope this helps

Cheiffy
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sat May 17, 2008 11:30 am

Just make sure if you do decide to hire a 4WD that you are actually allowed to take it on the beach.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations