tent too hot for baby

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

tent too hot for baby

Postby catea » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:03 pm

Hi
We plan to do a bit of travelling this year, we did an overnighter the other day and the tent was way too hot for the baby to have a nap, it was like a sauna by 11am, she was just too crabby so we came home early.

We are going up the queensland coast in winter, and i am looking for ideas.
We would use a tarp next time, but I am not sure if that will be enough, does anyone have ideas? maybe wet towels, battery operated fan?

I am a newbie, my travelling mate is experienced but not with babies

thanks cate
Camping with toddler, 13 months
catea

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:23 pm

Well, you could just have the baby in a rocker outside in the shade :idea: Would be a lot cooler. Tarp is a good idea but if its a really hot day it wont matter cause most tents just act like a greenhouse. Not sure but maybe canvas tents are better (havent tried on myself so hopefully someone else can clarify).
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby catea » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:40 am

Thanks for getting back to me.

She is too big for a rocker, crawling and all that, we need somewhere without the stimulation of the bush.

But thinking of what you have said I will work on the shade thing, the tarp for startes, then maybe rig up a cover that is off the ground so the air can flow through.

cheers cate
Camping with toddler, 13 months
catea

Postby cameron » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:05 pm

Hi Cate,
It might also be an idea to put a tarp over the top of the tent with an air gap between the tent and the tarp.

That way the tent won't be in direct sun and so will stay a lot cooler.

If you are able to work out where your afternoon breeze is likely to come from then align your tent so that you get maximum cross ventilation in the afternoon and don't worry (as) much about the view aspect for the tent as a whole.

Also a small 12 volt fan with a booster battery pack will help a lot. You can charge it up while you drive and/or you could also charge it up with a solar panel if you are away from camping sites that have power.

Another option might be to set up a small portable wading pool (you could use a bit of sea water if near enough to the coast) and give bub regular supervised dips.

Anyway there is a few ideas to add to the list.

Cheers,
Cameron
cameron

Advice

Postby Activity_Dept » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:14 pm

Thats some good advise their Cameron, must be a Dad.
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Return to Camping Tips and Locations