Edward River - Barmah State Forest - Mathoura

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Edward River - Barmah State Forest - Mathoura

Postby Tanks1966 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:40 pm

My camping spot on the Edward River is viewable on Google Earth, if you want the coordinates III give them to you.
Its fairdinkum, bush bush camping! No made made structures at all. The site is 40 minutes north of Echuca near a town called Mathoura. Ive been going there since I was 15 years old. The River is majestic, I love the silence, it has no speed boats due to the river being too narrow for the noisy things and its snags which leads to some great fishing. Smaller tinnies is ideal here.
There are heaps of spots, but unlike say the Murray, its all private meaning a dirt track runs parallel to the river and campsites are of it, like a court bowl. Each space is unique.
Cap fires are permited but absolutley no firearms are allowed at all. Even locked up in the car.
Ive seen people bring there dogs in the area. Its true blue camping.
Just watch were you pitch the tent, the red gums are huge.

If you have facebook, add me (Tom Guljas) as a friend, I have photos of the area and I will add all my other camping pics there dating back from the Neanderthal era lol.

Have a great day - any questions re this area just buzz me
:*** :*** :***
Tanks1966
Boy Scout

Re: Edward River - Barmah State Forest - Mathoura

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 22, 2008 8:19 am

Sounds FANTASTIC Tanks but a tad too far for me for a weekend. Hopefully there are other victorians who can take advantage of this info and make it to a camp there sometime soon.

Thank you for sharing this special spot.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Edward River - Barmah State Forest - Mathoura

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu May 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Mrs Bravo and I wandered through the Barmah State Forrest at the Barmah end a few weeks ago. It was certainly peaceful by the Murray and a the river gums are majestic trees :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations