Help a Pom find camp sites suitable for a campervan in QLD

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Help a Pom find camp sites suitable for a campervan in QLD

Postby polarbear1 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:11 pm

G'Day. I'm from the British Army currently attached to the Australian Army for a few months. My wife comes out here in July and we have hired a campervan for 9 days to go from Brisbane up to Cairns, one way only. I know it's winter and we haven't got much time but we had little choice.

I would like some help finding good campsites around Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Airlie Beach, Townsville, Mission Beach and Cairns.

We would prefer to stay in national parks/state forests so that any money we pay goes to the parks rather than a business but appreciate this isn't always possible.

Iv'e looked at National Parks on the web and a lot of them state "Car Camping". Will we be allowed onto these areas with our camper or are we restricted to caravan sites only? We've got a Wanderer, which is a fairly big Mercedes van.

Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
polarbear1

Re: Help a Pom find camp sites suitable for a campervan in QLD

Postby will_deness » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:15 pm

winter is the best time to go up north, you should be fine to get your camper into most, if not all national park car camping spots.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:53 pm

You might want to have a look at this site too PolarBear1.
EPA website: http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks_and_for ... or_forest/

Edit: Try this link it may make it a little easier for you.
Last edited by GypsyLady on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby polarbear1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:49 pm

Thanks guys. That link doesn't work but I was looking at the EPA site before I gave up and came on here. It's a bit cumbersome with a lot of dead ends. The NSW Crown Property site is very good, shame QLD hasn't got a similar one.

Thanks for clearing up the "Car camping" issue. I was cursing to myself thinking I wouldn't be able to use my camper in any of the national parks. Just need some good recommendations now.

Cheers

The Pom
polarbear1

Return to Camping Tips and Locations