end of free camping

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

end of free camping

Postby oldtrack123 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi to all who enjoy free camping below is a letter extract sent byVicParks [the caravan parks ass ]to it's members .It should be of concern to all who want freedom of choice as to where to camp .
It shows the determination of these groups ,australia wide, to take that choice from you .
It is obvious that their ultimate aim is : YOU will camp /sleep in a 'legal '? caravan park or pay similar fees for fewer facilities.
As many are aware they tried to have o/n camping banned in QLD mrd rest areas some years ago & had a short term sucess until the minister of the day bowed to public outcry & rescinded the decision ,but they havn't given up I believe NSWrta are reviewing their policy.
They have had this done in the name of "competitive neutrality " backed by the QLD OMBUDSMAN forced Barcaldine council to encrease it's showground fee to $20powered from previous$10 .
Blackall council closed its town camp area under the same pressure.
Similar pressure is being applied to Forbes council regarding its free areas .
NSW NAT PARKS has given the need for beng "neutral to commercial establihments" [ competitive neutrality ]as one of the reasons for its massive encrease fees .
If you wish to retain your freedom of choice you have a big job ahead . it need leters to your local member , council etc .

EXTRACT FROM VicPARK'S LETTER
An intensive "campaign was carried out by VicParks through mailings to various government departments and Ministers. A template letter was made available to VicParks Members to be send to local MP’s and schools etc. to raise the awareness of this issue, from which a significant number of replies have been received. We still have some way to go with this issue, but between the VicParks approach and that of other state associations the topic is gaining high recognition at all levels of government Australia-wide.
The VicParks Committee of Management identified the emergence of unregistered caravan parks and the nation-wide increase in illegal camping as a threat to the caravan park industry during their 2007/08 Strategic Planning process and as such has formed a Working Group to deal with this issue.
VicParks have been in active contact with a range of organisations in an attempt to prevent the proliferation of unregistered caravan parks.
It is important that we target our efforts carefully as we do not want the industry to be seen as stifling tourism growth or preventing local communities from holding events vital to their area. Nor can we be seen to be campaigning against the proper use of rest areas. What we can, and are doing, is arguing that the inappropriate use of crown land, school grounds, rest areas and the like is not beneficial to the tourism industry, is unfair to the legitimate operators who must comply with onerous regulations and operating standards, and is potentially dangerous to users who will ultimately seek compensation if injured or suffer vehicle damage from the body who
allowed such overnight camping etc. Our intention is to fight this battle on solid ground and avoid all the emotive rhetoric which is often put forward by user groups and the media.”
oldtrack123
Camping King

Re: end of free camping

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:54 pm

Isn't it funny...some places love free camping because of the money it oftens brings to the district.

I know if I free camp anywhere I make a point of going into the town, shop or local pub and spending some money just by way of saying 'thank you'.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby oldtrack123 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi Gypsy lady
Yes you are correct , that IS WHY many councils offer free or low cost camping, for the benifit of many business.
But the cp ass are only interested in lining their OWN
pockets & are doing all [& in some cases succeding]they can to force councils to comply with their idea of "competitive neutrality"
Unfortunately some govt officers seem to agree with their idea.
It is obvious the cps ass will not give up until free / low cost camping is banned or severly restricted by govt regulation.
That is what their letter is all about. :twisted:
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby oldtrack123 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi Gypsy lady
Yes you are correct , that IS WHY many councils offer free or low cost camping, for the benifit of many business.
But the cp ass are only interested in lining their OWN
pockets & are doing all [& in some cases succeding]they can to force councils to comply with their idea of "competitive neutrality"
Unfortunately some govt officers seem to agree with their idea.
It is obvious the cps ass will not give up until free / low cost camping is banned or severly restricted by govt regulation.
That is what their letter is all about. :twisted:
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby Teabag » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:05 pm

gypsylady wrote:Isn't it funny...some places love free camping because of the money it oftens brings to the district.

I know if I free camp anywhere I make a point of going into the town, shop or local pub and spending some money just by way of saying 'thank you'.

Correct and the best rest stop for free I have ever seen is right in the centre of Home Hill QLD. The town was struggling and needed a boost so built a caravaners free rest spot with toilets showers and campers kitchen which is all free and every time you drive past there are heaps of caravaners parked up.....It work for this small struggling town.....
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby ScottyB » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:29 am

Teabag wrote:The town was struggling and needed a boost so built a caravaners free rest spot with toilets showers and campers kitchen which is all free and every time you drive past there are heaps of caravaners parked up.....It work for this small struggling town.....

Don't worry guys .... I think a lot of places are becoming aware of the booming "Grey Nomad" industry. And it ain't just retirees out there travelling the country. I have never seen so many campers, caravans and motorhomes on the road. Cater to this industry and you can put yourself back on the map.

Sounds so eay doesn't it? Can't help but wonder if all this public liability insurance isn't pushing prices up in the privately run parks?
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:47 pm

They will never get rid of "free camping".

They will make it harder, and that's annoying.

I just came back from a day cruising around Cocoparra National Park, whilst I didn't camp there, I prolly will one day. It doesn't collect fee's at the moment, and hope it stays that way. But even if it did, I'd just drive off down one of the side tracks and camp off to the side somewhere.

I guess my point is that any park that's really worth visiting, will generally be big enough that you could stay there for many days without seeing any one (ie, a ranger ;) )

And those that don't like camping so far from civilization, will end up ponying up the dough, and staying in a caravan park, as they generally have heaps better facilities. So, with any luck, the national parks and wildfire service, will go bankrupt :armsup

Bring on excessive camp fees eh :?# :roll: just kidding
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:06 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:
It doesn't collect fee's at the moment, and hope it stays that way. But even if it did, I'd just drive off down one of the side tracks and camp off to the side somewhere.

I hope Ozzy that you are not deliberately suggesting that you would take evasive actions to avoid paying a fee for camping!!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:50 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Ozzycamperboy wrote:
It doesn't collect fee's at the moment, and hope it stays that way. But even if it did, I'd just drive off down one of the side tracks and camp off to the side somewhere.

I hope Ozzy that you are not deliberately suggesting that you would take evasive actions to avoid paying a fee for camping!!!

Of course not!!

I'm deliberately stating that will ;)

If I see a ranger however, I'll be polite and courteous, prolly mention in passing how stupid it is that you should have to pay for the privileged of sleeping on the dirt in the bush :roll: Pay what's required and that will be that.

But I'm certainly not going to make any effort to pay for something that should be free.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:43 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:
But I'm certainly not going to make any effort to pay for something that should be free.

Whilst I agree that NPs and SFs and probably many other things should be FREE, I don't believe that one should try to evade paying a fee simply for that reason.

IMO that would be dishonest Ozzy....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations