camping with dogs from victoria over the nullarbor

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

camping with dogs from victoria over the nullarbor

Postby Saraht » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi can anyone out there let me know of any dog friendly camping areas between victoria and Esperance W.A. Ive tryed looking everywhere on the internet for infomation regarding this. I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this. Ive read posts from the past, that didnt really answer much apart from that you can camp in most state parks, or you could try leaving the dogs in a kennel. This is a permanant trip for me, Im on a very low budget, so bush camping is the main way that I tour this country, just havent had to do it with the dogs for a long time, and kennels are not an option. Love to hear about particular camping spots if possible... cheers
Saraht

Re: camping with dogs from victoria over the nullarbor

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:00 pm

I can't give you specifics as I have not yet traveled the Nullabor but my recommendation is to contact RACV (presuming you are a member) and I am sure they will be able to advise you accordingly.

I also suggest that whilst you are there that you pick up a copy of the Camps Aust 4 book which lists many 'free' camping spots and will also advise which ones are 'pet friendly', available facilities and how long you can camp at any one place.

You might also like to have a look at this link http://www.goseeaustralia.com.au/

Hope this helps Saraht and I do hope you have a great adventure.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: camping with dogs from victoria over the nullarbor

Postby Komodo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:27 pm

Camping along the nullarbor you'll have no dramas camping with dogs provided your happy to camp in the "rest areas" - you might have a problem at servos though - some of the servos dont like dogs! So when taking you dog make sure you give him or her a "pit stop" before or after reaching a servo.

You MAY have trouble down in Esperance finding somewhere to camp with dogs - its mostly national park camping.

You'll have a ball the trip across west is awesome I'd drop anything to go back across.

Kel and I did the trip across in 4 days straight to perth but we could easily have spent weeks getting across - there is just SOOOOOOO much to see and do out there.

Also get familiar with the two raised fingers wave - its a nullarbor tradition. Drive with your lights on at ALL times. Dont speed (too much) the fuzz are out there and we saw a few people get busted. Grab a UHF - even if its only hand held (though a properly fitted unit with external antenna is better) they come in handy for communicating with trucks and other drivers. The truckies are great and will let you know when it is and isnt safe to overtake. They know how big they are and they can see alot further in front than you can so they can give the best information. They'll even give you a heads up for cameras and radars too ;)

Exploroz generally has pretty upto date fuel price info and I suggest you work out what sort of range you get to your tank(s) if you dont already know - theres generally about 200k's between towns though there are a few longer stretches.
If running a diesel vehicle use an additive like flashlube - it'll increase your MPG but more importantly it'll help if you get a dose of Dagnabbit's fuel - theres plenty of it out there.

Sorry I cant help too much re: the dog situation but i'm sure you'll find plenty of places to stay - a lot of grey nomads travel with their puppies.

Enjoy the trip - its a GREAT experiance.

Cheers,
Komodo

PS Australia is HUGE!!!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations