camping for long duration

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

camping for long duration

Postby Rosslee » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:53 pm

Hello this is my first post on these forums hopefully not my last im not a huge camping fanatic just i need some advice i want to get out of the city away from civilisation for well i would like a year if thats possible i will have to walk at least 500m so if its impossible to walk that far then at least give me the max days i could stay in the bush with out going back for supplys also hunting and fishing is a option really i would like it a madatory and the time will be probly in a few years so ill have time to get money for most things but please make it resenable so no hireing planes to drop food ever month i want to be self sustained for as long as i can and my preferd sleeping arrangments will be a swag(most likly) or a small tent and for location atm is undecided but i have chossen a few spots i think might be good but the main topic is just things i will need to live for a amount of time solo and the main reason i want to do this is just to get away from the hussle and bussle of the city and after this i might be moveing to the country so its my phase from moveing over well id like to here your views and ideas and sorry for my spelling and gramma ive had a busy day and im very tyed i just wanted to do this today.

p.s.
thank you for reading.
Rosslee

Re: camping for long duration

Postby ScottyB » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:50 pm

You are not a huge camping fanatic but want to get away from civilisation for a year and don't want to have to walk more than 500m? :?:

I think I can solve your problem. :cheers

Move to the country. It ticks every one of your boxes. And the people are much nicer out here.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby cruiser » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:31 pm

ScottyB wrote:You are not a huge camping fanatic but want to get away from civilisation for a year and don't want to have to walk more than 500m? :?:

you can camp at my letter box it's only 450m from my house :*** :cheers
cruiser
Camping Veteran

Postby ScottyB » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:06 pm

cruiser wrote:
ScottyB wrote:You are not a huge camping fanatic but want to get away from civilisation for a year and don't want to have to walk more than 500m? :?:

Hobby farmer. :bunny ::)

Rosslee, we don't even have a letterbox. :***
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby cruiser » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:22 pm

ScottyB wrote:
cruiser wrote:

Hobby farmer. :bunny ::)

Rosslee, we don't even have a letterbox. :***

:*** :*** :*** :cheers
cruiser
Camping Veteran

Postby Rosslee » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:16 am

well i didnt want to buy a house intill i was sure but i have spoke with a some people and yes a year is impossible and 500M was my theory was a 4x4 track was going to be a drop off point where i walk from there so it was going to be a part car part walk and the car was going to be taken back but for a year even with hunting and such i would need other foods so i would have to grow things but that means i would have to become a gardener and all past experiences are i cant grow food =/ but the point i was thinking off was a location near thompson river there was a point where you could get there only by 4x4 and its about a 500m walk but i have a 4x4 freind who has told me that area has been blocked off after floods last year there is another track he said but he said it will most likly be blocked or to danderous to cross and to survive for a year i would need dehydrated food and lots of it which means the drop of point is going to have to be a place that is far enough so i cant hear and cars but close anough to go back and foward to carry supplys but i was also thinking to open up more locations if im able to get to a upstream location i can get a raft to take me down river to the location and land there with supplys but to be able to accomplish it i would most likly have to construct a cabbin or a umm i think its called a dig out like a triangle house and when i said im not a big camping fan as in i dont do it very often but i do go every once and a while to get away from it all but there only been week end trips ive been to wilsons prom a few times for long week ends and the occasinal 4x4 trips but that is it more then some but i just want to get away but a farm i feel like im still civilised if someone is willing to sell a house that is surrounded by masses of trees so no clear open land i would like that but i dont like farm land that has been all cut down for crops and such plus i like exploreing but haveing places to come back to thats why i wanted the year trip set up camp and make where i go with white paint so a. i can get back and b.so i can make at the start of the trail if its a dead end or nothing interesting but if its impossible then i will accept that and ill try to find away something that i can meet half way but if i cant ill guess ill have to learn to live of the land and find a place with lots of what ever i can eat =] well id like to see some constructive critisism not just live on a farm 40 times =] and just a side not this bloody smile is so distracting :bunny
Rosslee

Postby will_deness » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:30 am

You on the run from the law? You wouldn't survive a year out in the bush without experience. Living off the land is pretty tough, just ask Burke and Wills. For example growing your own food will take months, with no protection from creatures that would like to eat your crop, and on land that will have no time to be made fertile, and no useful amounts of fertilizers.
If you really want to do this, why not start small and see, if over a weekend go out into the bush and find a reliable supply of drinking water and try to fish/trap your own food(don't whatever you do go out without backup supplies), that way your experience will give you more idea on what will be needed to be Roselee Crusoe.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosslee » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:35 am

well i know how to live off the land hunting and fishing wise like i know how to prepare a deer and such not very good at it but practice makes perfect fishing is pretty easy neting is overkill and no im not running from the law im pretty sure im 100% clean i know who can use the dirt from bottoms of creeks and rivers to fertilize ground pretty well plus the ground near rivers and creeks are usally good for growing certain plants and such and its very hard to just say go for a weekend and see if you can live there because i was more thinking of hunting for a spot to see if i could sustain my self first before i did my trip my experience is atm what u see above and dont eat things that are pretty colors =] but things that go for like certain wild plants you can eat and such i would most likly get a book that says dont eat this and eat this type of book and my location was going to be about 20m away from a river thats my ideal location but it will take a few treks and such to find a spot i like.

thx for you comment btw =]
Rosslee

Postby mr_grumble » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:15 am

WOW.....
3 posts, 1000+ words and 4 full stops ::()
Rosslee, something tells me you know how to talk. Might pay to take a breath every now and then :mrgreen:

12 months is a hell of a long time to be stuck somewhere by yourself with no readily available source of food.

Take food, water, medications out of the equation, 12 months by ones self would be a tall ask for the best of us.

The emotional and mental demands this would impose would be substancial and worth considering before hand.

Ever watched the TV program 'Survivor'. They have most things provided for them such as food rations, the knowledge that medical help was only minutes away, so thats two major stresses they didn't have to worry about, but just three months changed the mental state of so many of the contestants.

I'd tend to think most of us wouldn't be able to see it through, the isolation itself would be just too much for the average person.
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:24 am

If you feel a weekend is impossible Rosslee, try a month at first and see how it goes. Think of it as research…

My other concern is your belief that there are all these creeks and rivers about!! You are talking about the Australian bush I presume....and if so then I can assure you these are no where in abundance as you seem to think.

The further away from civilization you go, the less of everything (other than wide open spaces) you will find
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:06 am

Is this serious, or a troll?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mr_grumble » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:16 am

amanda wrote:Is this serious, or a troll?

Excuse my ignorance Amanda :roll: , but whats a troll?
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby amanda » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:26 am

Basically, fishing for someone to take the bait and bite.

On another forum that I am a member of the problem of "trolling" is high. We get people signing up and adding posts and then just sitting back and watching everyone react to it. Usually their posts are of a nature that will create emotive comment in the forum, and there are also many that add a post that is unrealistic and they get a kick out of seeing forum members waste their time giving in depth responses to things that to them are just a joke.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:47 am

amanda wrote: Usually their posts are of a nature that will create emotive comment in the forum, and there are also many that add a post that is unrealistic and they get a kick out of seeing forum members waste their time giving in depth responses to things that to them are just a joke.

I am sorry but I cannot for the life of me understand why or how anyone can get a buzz out of this sort of behaviour.

Obviously, they need to get a life!!!
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:53 am

It amazes me on the other forum at how often it happens. It seems to be prevalent on the very large forums. It's a shame because it makes it very frustrating for the genuine forum members, and tends to make the entire forum a bit tedious.

I'm not saying that this post is one, but you have to admit that it is an odd post.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations