camping for long duration

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: camping for long duration

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:27 am

amanda wrote:
I'm not saying that this post is one, but you have to admit that it is an odd post.

Whilst I did not even think of the possibility as you did....I definitely did think the post overall a bit strange.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby ScottyB » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:43 pm

Yes I think the cheese has slid off the cracker....
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:51 pm

I really don't think you've quite thought this through.

What you want to do for a year, is become essentially a hermit? :?

You'll soon tire of hunting and fishing everyday. The animals you hunt, well the roo's and pigs at least will soon learn where you are and learn to stay away.

Building a cabin or any sort of structure, by yourself, from scratch??.... try it in a local forest 1st ;)

If all you want to do is get away from city life, move out to a country town as already suggested. A year and a bit ago I did this.

It'll be a great experience, and you'll learn a lot about rural communities, and the bush in general. And you won't end up on the 6 O'clock news, as the half starved wacko with hypothermia that tried to live out on his own in the bush for a year.

As far as the troll theory goes, well, I guess its possible but I'm punting on them being a young person who's sick of living at home, wants to get out of the city, and hasn't quite thought it through.

(juts described myself a year ago then too :lol: )
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Rosslee » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:29 pm

well for house building im accully very good with my hands when makeing a house i was thinknig about makeing the simple disign where u dig a squar out with a gap(the door) cut som logs with rope to pull it along place one end into the hole it will flick up repeat process intill its done roof is made by cutting a log in half useing flat side down and useing melted tar to seal it all up and planks are easy to get i wont be makeing them but bring them on one of the trips to make a door 3 hinges and at frist makeing the ground useing furn leaves or if needed wooden i wont be just hunting and fishing to keep my occupide i will have books to bring with me that will have certain ways of makeing furniture and such so i will be makeing things out of wood and such learning how to make traps to make hunting easyer rivers are pretty abundants around melbourne i know many locations where there are large river systems that are clean water able to drink but i will still be boiling it to make sure as well a side thing would be makeing a channel so i can have a quicker water stream i dont want to be next to a river for the fact rivers are known to rise and for mr_grumble im not very afraid of being alone i live most my life being alone i work alone so im not very worried about that not saying i dont mind being with people just i dont find it easyer ether way and the program survivor where people who didnt even know what the bush was they were 100% city people i have been to the bush many times and i like it more out there then i do in a normal house and for all people no im not a troll i just wanted to see if this was at all possible i have looked into it and yes the chances of it being possible are very little i know that hunting and fishing isnt a 100% food source i can rely on it to keep my alive so i will have to learn other things so im not going to be rushing in this like a idiot i just want this as a goal think of it as a time of meditation for me and really if i could manage to accomplish this or even half a year it would make me feel like i can do much more it will help me do things i normal wouldnt or couldnt

and thx for reading my shocking wrighting when im on a computer i automatically talk badly =] sorry
Rosslee

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:55 pm

Rosslee, I am still not sure that you are really thinking this through clearly.

Firstly most land that you would have access to would be public land and I doubt very much that you could do all the things you indicate that you want to do on public land.

If it is private property then that could open up a whole lot of other issues as well.

I think that your expectation is in all honesty a little like a fantasy. It sounds to me very like you want to act out a recent day Daniel Boone or Davey Crocket adventure.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosslee » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:47 pm

land issues and such you dont have to worry about its just for the fact that is it possible since all of you atm have just said its a bad idea but is it possible if its not then how long would be
Rosslee

Postby mr_grumble » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:15 am

:-bang
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:11 am

Rosslee wrote:land issues and such you dont have to worry about its just for the fact that is it possible since all of you atm have just said its a bad idea but is it possible if its not then how long would be

Your decision Rosslee...you seem to think you have all the answers, so my recommendation is 'go for it'.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:38 am

Why is "Deliverance" coming to mind?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby ScottyB » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:39 am

I think the best advice you have been given Rosslee is try it for a weekend .... but please .... take some backup water and food just in case .... and definitely tell the people who care for you where you are going.

If you still think you want to go for a year, go and speak to a doctor about your idea and the reasons behind it. I know that sounds strange to you, but I think it will be very helpful long term.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby Bushy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:52 am

Hey Rosslee , Im a bit like the others and not sure if your for real or not but that said I know of a ex ambo driver who couldn't handle the trauma of death and destruction that he had to deal with in doing his job . He quit his job and is living in a small tin hut on a river just to get his head together , been there over a year now . He reminds me a lot of you . I think the doctors diagnosed him with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome . If you feel you do need to get away from the hassles of the city then do as ScottyB suggests and talk it over with a doctor before you go and the people who care for you and let them know how they will be able to contact you when you are away . The ex ambo's family rings the landholders house on a regular basis to see how their son is coping and if they need for him to contact them the landholder will get a message to him . The bush is good but it has killed many people who have treated it with scant regard . Note : the ex ambo has tried spearing the numerous carp in the river for a long time and is still trying !
Cheers
Bushy
Some dream and say why ? Others dream and say why not ?
Bushy
Boy Scout

Postby Golden_Daydreamer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:46 pm

Rosslee, Like you, I live in Victoria some 300km from Melbourne in a city called Horsham.

You can't just go into the bush and cut down trees to build a hut as you need a special permit to cut down trees. As for hunting and fishing you need a licence. It is illegal to kill native wildlife. Deer hunting is seasonal and you need a licence.

You may even find that your precious streams and rivers are indeed dry! Where I live for instance, the water levels are at 3.8% storage capacity with a lot of lakes either very low or dry. Horsham, which is classed a city is surviving on 100% bore water.

One alternative for you would be to rent some shearers quarters from a farmer near the bush. Then spend your days exploring the bush coming back to the shearers quarters at night. You will also need a GPS as it is very easy to get lost in the bush.

Basically, you can't just "up and go" bush. As others have said, it will take a lot of research and careful planning.

Google is your friend in this matter.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Cheers,
Henry (Golden_Daydreamer)

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.
Golden_Daydreamer
Camping King

Postby Rosslee » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:41 pm

i know that i cant just pick up and go im not saying im going to do this tomorrow im more saying few years time probly about 3-4 yes i know about all liscences i need whats illegal and legal spear fishing isnt my thing i enjoy fishing with a line and hook rivers where im thinking have had water in them for hundreds of years if they dry up while im there ill go bet my life saveings on a lottery ticket heh i have pasted horsham a few times i dont remeber it being 300k but i think everytime i went through i wasnt driveing renting property is out of the deal i dont want to have something that i will need a job to maintain if im going to get something like that i would be getting a house or a land and buying it straight off with the matter of loved ones i dont talk to them much at this point i dont think they would really notice heh not that i have any problems just dont contact each other much when i go im not going there with a gun and a axe and going to live i will be bringing alot of things in a early post i said 500M from a track so i could carry my pack to that point and carry a large amount of equipment and food since .5km isnt very far to walk for me if i do end up doing this yes i will be contacting a doctor and such for many reasons a major one is vitamans i need to live i can just live off meat and fish my bones will go brittle so when you say bring back up water and food i will be bringing as much as i can carry of food with me water will be very easy to get when im there and if the river is some how dryed i would know before hand beacase i will be doing scouting missions to find a good spot that can handle me living there and for reference i dont have all the answers i wouldnt be hear if i did its just i would like some pure knowledge of experienced campers e.g best foods to bring basic equipment i dont have very much info on that and that is the main point im on this forum but it hasnt been much help so far
Rosslee

Postby Bushy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:26 pm

Rosslee . If you can get as much tinned food as you can dropped off with you and can make numerous trips to stockpile it then you can stay out there as long as you like . Nearly anything you want is availble in tins from meat ,fish , crab , prawns ,oysters , vegetables , stews , fruit , deserts , cheese , butter and so on . Deydrated foods are good but need to be stored in metal containers as bush mice /rats / possums will attack the packets as will crows and other such birds . Poke around some old gold mining areas , ready made housing is there in the shape of abandoned mines , warm in winter cool in summer , build your fire at the entrance and not at the back as you will burn the oxygen up if it is lit at the back . Hope this is more the sort of info your after , all the best with your plans . Plenty of National Parks , Nature Reserves and such that are wild enough for you to suss out . Take plenty of gas lighters and matches and dont keep them all together . All the best .
Some dream and say why ? Others dream and say why not ?
Bushy
Boy Scout

Postby Rosslee » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:10 pm

well that seems like the best im gonig to get from here so thx for your comment i may be back in a few years if this forum is still up to tell you if my plans are going ahead and whats going to happen but it seems like im gonig to have to do more reserch on my own well i bid you good day and ill see you in a very long time
Rosslee

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations