Real life - Man V Wild..

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Real life - Man V Wild..

Postby The Trout Hunter » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:18 am

G'day again all..

On the back of the TV Show - Man V Wild and that other post - Camping for a long duration.. I was thinking. How long do you think you could camp - healthily with only the clothes on your back and what you can carry?

I have wanted to do this my whole walking life, set a goal and get there.. Say a weekend hike from one place to another, take some food, but also catch fish, hunt if need be.. but just be out there in the bush/outback/beach and be the wild one. More like a hike I guess.

I will do it at the end of this year when it gets a little warmer, from one point to another, taking supplies including food, fishing rod, maybe even a sleeping bag and hiking tent for shelter if need be.. Of course I will have an emergency pack with phone and gps but I want to do this with no help bar my own.

Anyone done anything like this, I have to an extent but never more than a night without easy exits..

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Brad
The Trout Hunter

Re: Real life - Man V Wild..

Postby Redback » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:44 pm

If i was to do this, i would be more inclined to go in the cooler mths, say Autum or spring, too hot in summer + flys and winter can get bloody cold, especially in the desert, it's amazing how many people you meet that aren't prepared for the cold in the desert or even how cold it can get, in summer, in the high country.

Also i would want too investigate the does and don'ts of such an adventure, is there a group that trains people for this (ie) adventure groups, hiking groups, not something i would do alone for the first time.

It has been something i've thought about though.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Activity_Dept » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:05 pm

When I was in my teens a mate and I went on a hitch hike and trek for 2 months. I'm a Canadian so we went straight North, past Prince George and beyond, rode wild horses, caught our own food (had a break down rod and a 22 rifle that dismantled into two pieces). Looking back we had a ball, but at the time it was a little nip and tuck; there are some wild things out there in the Yukon, namely Indians, bears and even got chased by a moose but the worst was 3 days trekking through a swamp with huge black flies 24/7. But we made it, we brought no food, caught, killed or talked our way into at least 1 square meal a day. I haven't thought about this for sometime it was an experience but I don't think I could go through it again unless I had to, I'm more inclined to the creature comforts now I think.

I know I could survive on Canadian turf, but I am not sure about some of the places here; desert etc. You have got to have some respect for the people who can survive out there thought the Aborigines etc. and I admire your interest in doing it, give sufficient planning and preparation it could be well certainly character building anyway.

:beer
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby ScottyB » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:23 pm

I have done some survival training and this is what I learnt ...

... unless you really, really know what you are doing, you are just asking for trouble.

... and even if you still reckon you know enough, don't go alone.

Its not scouts.

I have "gone bush" with aboriginals that still lead reasonably traditional lifestyles, and even they need a bit of "help" these days to last more than a few days. Mind you, they do pretty well considering they have been exposed to our western ways ... and the buggers catch more fish with a spear than I did with $1000 worth of rod, reel and lures.

I have been subjected to sleep deprevation, restricted food and water, hazardous environments and just plain mind games on top of all that to try and break you. All of those things will affect how your mind and body operate (which is why they subjected me to them in the first place). You need to factor that into your planning because while it looks romantic on TV or sounds easy in a book, its tough, real tough out there.

This site has a lot of experienced campers but there is a huge gap between that and what you are talking about, you probably won't find the advice you want on here. An experienced camper can tell you how to make damper with just flour and a can of beer if you get stuck, but you will be digging in the ground to find your carbs and fibre.

A lot of us tow a small house around with us, armed with fridge/freezers, solar panels, 12 volt battery systems, water tanks, gas bottles, hot water systems etc etc. You on the other hand represent the "purist" who wants to do it the hard way, whilst here you can find a wealth of great information on how to do it the easy way.

I like that you have the guts to really test yourself, because doing what you want to do will really test you and you will learn a lot about yourself in the process and I think thats great. You will emerge from it knowing what the saying "what can't kill you only makes you stronger".

I would suggest any publication by the Australian army on survival, or really any Australian publication on survival, would be a good place to start. A few episodes of "The Bush Tucker Man" won't get you too far, although if I was ever stranded in the bush, that is who I want in my corner. I have met and drank with Les Hiddins, he is a really down to earth bloke, just like he is on TV and he really can do what you are thinking of doing.

Best regards to you, but remember, do the research and take a mate.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby itchyant-senior » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:41 am

Back in 2003 and 2004 I did some extended walking along the Darling River between Louth and Tilpa. Because there was no fresh water available I had to carry my own and include all my camping gear etc etc. A backpack was no good so I built a walking cart that I hauled behind me. It was made from aluminium and used boat trailer wheels and allowed me to take all that was required to make walking more enjoyable.
2004-004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you dream it - you can do it
itchyant-senior
Camping King

Postby mr_grumble » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:54 pm

I have been subjected to sleep deprevation, restricted food and water, hazardous environments and just plain mind games on top of all that to try and break you.

Ain't marriage an institution to behold :lol:
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby ScottyB » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:20 pm

mr_grumble wrote:
I have been subjected to sleep deprevation, restricted food and water, hazardous environments and just plain mind games on top of all that to try and break you.

Ain't marriage an institution to behold :lol:

Hey hey hey the Trout Hunter only wants to know how to survive in the bush unassisted. He never said he was going to try and do anything crazy like .... marriage.

Now Trout Hunter ... you can escape from the bush with pretty much what you went in there with. But marriage ... you will be lucky if you can escape with what Itchyant Senior was towing behind him in those photos.

I didn't just buy a camper trailer to go camping .... its my escape plan. :***
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby Lost Man » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:00 pm

Maybe his plan is to escape into wilderness to get away from his wife.

I've concidered this before.
Lost Man
Camping King

Postby Lost Man » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Back on the subject, Bear Grylls/Man Vs Wild is great!

I liked it when he got on his hands and knees and tucked into a dead zebra like he was a hungy lion.

And when he squeezed the juice out of elephant dung for drink.

I think if you where going to try to make it in the bush Man V Wild style, you would have to at least make sure you chose a nice abundant area, like somwhere near the coast so there would always be food at hand like shelfish.

Trying to cut it in the Aussie outback? forget it!
Lost Man
Camping King

Postby cokebottle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:45 am

Lost Man wrote:Maybe his plan is to escape into wilderness to get away from his wife.

I've concidered this before.

I've done it! used to keep a change of clothes/toliet paper & a sleeping bag under my seat in my Vitara, used them once or twice too, escaped to the beach once & drove onto the beach & slept there overnight when my now ex was feral (she alway's did it when it was a full moon too :shock: )

Again back on topic, when I was in my teens I used to try to be self sufficent when camping in the lower Blue Mountains, used to catch fish to eat from the Nearby Nepean River (not far from Penrith) & in the upper reaches there used to be be freshwater mussel's which I have eaten.

Which sometimes had a muddy taste, but I reckon you could of survived on them, but from what I read these days the mussel's have almost died out in the river :?

Talking of muddy, I once caught an eel in the upper reaches of a creek which runs into the Nepean River, it's stomach was full of rusty bottle caps (must have thought they were mussel's) I soaked it in vinegar overnight & "tried" to eat it for breakie the next morning, most disgusting thing I had ever tasted, I reckon it's flesh was 99% mud ;)

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Return to Camping Tips and Locations