food to take

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

food to take

Postby cannylass » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:10 pm

First thank you guys for the great Idea's Now can I ask for more help. I keep having an argument on what we should take in the food line Tins are heavy I keep geting told We have a caravan plus a small portable freezer whats the basic stuff I want to take frozen food like frozen chips ,veg, pies, Im told we can buy those things on the way so how do I plan what to take Thanks ess
cannylass

Postby Scolers » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:42 pm

If you ave your own freezer (you didn't say how big it is) you shouldn't have to change your diet from what you have at home.

We take a 90ltr bar fridge with us but we have access to electricity so it makes it easier. We also have an 82ltr ice box which is fantastic for just about everything.

We do take some tins but it is the tinned food we use at home such as baked beans etc. So really we just take everything we have and don't change our normal diet.

Hope that helps.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:06 pm

Mate, when I go camping, i eat like a king :mrgreen: , your already roughing it so why add a poor diet to the equation. Steaks, sausages, fruit, pasta - spaghetti (sometimes make my own, sometimes pre-mix sauce and i just add meat+pasta), the only tinned stuff I ever take is an imported beef gulash mix, that you can get from some deli's, and Primo Factories, but that stuff tastes good enough to serve in a cheap resturant, 500x better than tinned spaghetti or anything :mrgreen:

And all thats just with an icebox, usually does me for 5 days. If you'v got a fridge and a caravan, just plan a usual weeks meals out and stick all the ingredients in there, done.

It sounds simple but, make sure that you can cook whatever you take, a friend of mine once took a microwave dinner camping Image:mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:33 pm

Don't knock the microwave!

My wife wants an elctric oven to take when we go camping ... as we mainly stay in caravan parks it's easily done. Great for heating up pies and even cooking a chook.

8)

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:49 pm

Scolers wrote:Don't knock the microwave!

Cheers ...

Scol.

I wasn't. I was knocking my friend who brought a microwoven dinner to a National Park campsite, 45 mins drive from nearest electricity plug :wink: and when he knew no one in our group has an inverter let alone a M/Wave to take camping :roll: :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:23 pm

He probably thought it was battery operated ... :shock: :wink:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to Camping Tips and Locations